Is my accelerometer bad? Do they even go bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Errk!, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

I bought my 64GB 3G+Wifi on launch day, and soon after I bought the game Boggle. I never could get the "shake" to work to start the game.

Later I bought Yahtzee. I could never shake the device to shake the cup of dice; I always had to tap it.

Later still I bought Madden, and have not been able to shake the device to get the offense to hurry to the line of scrimmage.

So...could my accelerometer go bad? Has anyone even heard of an accelerometer just not working? I can steer in racing games where you tilt the device to steer and it *seems* to work OK, but not a single action that requires shaking the device works.

I will probably take it to Apple this week now that I realize what is going on but I just thought I'd check and see if this has happened to anyone else...

2. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Did you try a restore? It sounds like your accelerometer is working - steering in a game is powered by the accelerometer. It could be that you aren't shaking it hard enough, it takes a pretty good shake for it to register. Also, can you shake to bring up the undo menu when typing?

3. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I've done several restores. And I've shaken it pretty hard!

I don't think I've tried undo - I'll try that.

4. b.c., Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

b.c. macrumors 6502

why don't you download one of the free accelerometer demo apps that are available?

for example: AccelMeter - 3D Vector Accelerometer

then you can see if your iPad's accelerometer is responding, just by observing the display.

Rather than your accelerometers being "bad", I'm just wondering if those games you mention might not be properly calibrated to the ipad's accelerometers, or something like that.

5. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even think to try such a thing - thanks!

6. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Yahtzee and boggle work fine on mine when I shake so you definitely have some sort of problem.

7. gnychis macrumors 6502

anything electronic can fail, worth taking in to the apple store