Is my Airport 802.11g or n?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by elbirth, Oct 7, 2008.

1. elbirth macrumors 65816

I may be missing something obvious, but I'm trying to determine if the Airport Extreme card in my mac pro is 802.11n or the older 802.11g.

Long story short, my original system was bought in May 2007, but in the last week was completely replaced due to an issue that Apple couldn't resolve after a month of having my system. When they built the new one, they failed to put in an Airport card like my original system had, so I had them send someone to my house to install it for me.

In System Profiler, it says this about the card:
    Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.46.11)

I've tried a Google search but don't seem to be really getting any solid hits and can't seem to figure out what protocol my Airport card uses. Is there something in the OS that directly tells me, or is there something else I can use to find out?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

That is the same card I have in my '08 Mac Pro with 802.11 N, so I would have to say yes.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If your machine was replaced with an Early 2008 model, I believe that its compatible Airport Extreme card supports 802.11n right out of the box.

4. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah, it seems to be an 08 model, because it has the faster 800MHz RAM and the top RAM riser board is upside down, as opposed to being right-side up as in my original one.

Thanks for the info, I was just curious since I'm probably going to be going 802.11n soon anyway

5. DualShock macrumors 6502

Application --> Utilities --> Network Utility

on the Info tab, select your airport card. it will show what protocols your card supports, like so:

Attached Files:

6. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

aha, perfect
    it shows a/b/g/n, thanks a lot!