Is my Airport Express dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cleung, May 3, 2008.

1. cleung macrumors regular

My Airport Express stopped working after I did my software update for my Airport EXTREME the other day. It lost the connection to my Airport EXPRESS and so I did a hard reset and tried to redo the whole profile but after many, many hard resets, I still can't make it work. Airport Setup Assistant shows that the setup is complete and everything is fine. But if I select "Extend my wireless range", after the setup, my Airport Express won't even appear anywhere. If I select "Join my wireless network" then it will appear with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address under my Airport Utility. It will also show up on my iTunes but I can't open it using Airport Utility and iTunes spends a long time searching for it and then gives up. In all the above cases, the amber light remains flashing and the green light never comes on. What else can I do to fix this??

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Make sure the extreme is set up to use 802.11a/b/g .
    Also be sure to select "allow this airport to be extended" on the extreme then start from scratch on the express.

3. Bambeezer macrumors regular

No doubt that this thing can be a pain to configure when you can only do it wireless. I highly recommend using ethernet to configure. You can take out the wireless connectivity issues and see exactly what is happening.

That's my 2 cents plus or minus a nickel.

4. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

I just got it to work!! Extreme was set up to use 802.11b/g and it had "allow this airport to be extended" on but I actually turned it off and that's what made it work. Now my EXPRESS has a 10.x.x.x address like my EXTREME and it shows up on iTunes and it works. I have no idea why but at least it works now.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Thats great!!
    Now you have two networks though . I think