Is my apple watch screen supposed to look like this? problem with the adhesive?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mstanco, Jul 22, 2017.

1. mstanco macrumors newbie

mstanco

https://imgur.com/a/1vi99 these are the best picture i can get, in the sun my screen has a reddish tint and in the corners there is a whitish tint, it dosent affect the viewing of the screen the screen just looks weird in the sun and its very irritating, I have the worst luck in the world when it comes to buying new products they are all defective, been to the genius bar atleast 2 times per device I own, each time getting a replacement. Just returned my previous watch due to a dead pixel and just got this one and the screen looks funny. Is this normal? please help.

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Sunlight combined with laminated screens looks like that. It's a halo effect combined with sun glare,and even a brand new watch could look like that from certain angles.

3. warburg macrumors 6502a

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Except that case. Bleh.

5. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

oh, sorry i want to keep my $400 watch protected
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2017 ---
    look at the corners of the apple watch's screen in the pictures, theres a whitish tint

6. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

In all honesty, you're much better off investing in Applecare+ and having peace of mind. That's what I did when I bought mine back in 2015. Finally smashed the screen two months ago, I didn't even flinch because I knew that I was about to get it replaced with a new watch for $69. Which also has the added benefits of not having any scratches AND a new battery. But those cases are just hideous.

Yeah, it does look a little odd in my opinion. Take it into the store and see what they say. Do you know anyone else with an Apple Watch you can compare to?

7. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

well i had one before this that had a dead pixel that i had to return and from what i remember it didnt have this issue.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You really do have some bad luck. If you're still in the return period, return it and buy a new one. Much easier than making a genius appointment and trying to convince them to replace it under warranty.

9. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

ugh i know. problem is I'm only 15 and i hate making people drive me 20 minutes away for such a small problem it would seem to them, but a huge one to me. Already made someone drive me for the dead pixel 2 days ago, I hate to do it again, you know?

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah that's a problem. Bribe them with Starbucks.

11. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

hahah! thats smart. We'll see, ill show it to my dad tonight, see what he says. btw I wouldn't keep a case on my watch if i didn't have such bad luck, one time i even managed to dent my phone through my case. I could name you all the times I've been to the genius bar and gotten replacements because of defective items but that would take forever.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Looking at those pictures, I'm not entirely sure if it's an issue or not. I have not seen this before. But as another forum member mentioned, it could be reflectivity from sunlight with the laminated Display. I'm not confident Apple will likely do anything in this situation, maybe a replacement device if anything. Also, you never mentioned which generation Apple Watch you have.

13. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

Its a series two, does that even matter for this thread.

14. sguser macrumors regular

And I wonder how I go around with my $10,000+ watch without any protection. I guess I would better stick some ugly case on it ASAP :)

15. Relentless Power, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It does matter, because you never stated what Watch model you own from the beginning. Being it's a Series 2, and IF it's a defect during your one year warranty period, you would be covered under warranty and looking at a warranty replacement Watch.

16. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

i’m sure your $10,000+ dollar watch has a curved exposed bad quality display. (i have the sport version)

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Kind of feel sorry for the OP. I guess at 15 years old this is all that consumes his life. What will you do when looking for that perfect mate? Will you demand them to be perfect with no flaws what so ever?

I wish you well.

19. csurfr macrumors 68000

I have had 3 series 2 AW’s. My first two were the Nike + model and exhibited this same behavior, Apple swapped the first with no questions asked (the genius said “my watch doesn’t look like that”). After opening the second box and it looking the same way, I attributed it to what was said above about laminated screens, etc. My third AW is the SS; the sapphire screen does not do this (at least on mine), and looks perfect in direct sunlight. Could it be a flaw? Sure. It also might have something to do with the Ion-X Glass used in the aluminum models.

20. mstanco thread starter macrumors newbie

mstanco

tf? There are so many people that this would bother, read the comments some people experienced the same thing and got replacement watches. Sorry i don't want my $400 investment to have flaws out of the box. I feel sorry for you, because you have enough time on your hands to poke fun at a 15 year old. Get a life