Is my AppleCare authentic (picture)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoPro, Jan 29, 2013.

1. GoPro macrumors member

I bought a brand new and sealed Applecare Protection plan from ebay a few days ago for £120 (saving me £80 off Apple's price) for my Mac.

Having received the item, all looks legit but as someone who is obsessive compulsive and pays careful attention to detail (even on the smallest of things), on close inspection of the box I have found there to be some things that appear un-Apple like, such as misaligned print. I've circled/pointed out the areas of concern in the picture (i've edited out some numbers on my serial incase somebody tries to **** me up :D )

[​IMG]
    You can see "California" is missing from the sentence that should say "Designed by Apple in California"
    [​IMG]

I was wondering if anybody who owns a 100% genuine (from Apple store) AppleCare was willing to take a look at the packaging possibly compare it to theirs so see if there's a difference in the places I've shown, in order to confirm this is actually a genuine AppleCare product. A picture would be even better.

The box is still sealed incase I decide to return it on the basis of the result of this thread. As a full time student I'm not prepared to pay £120 for warranty which will be void 3 months down the road.

Thanks guys

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If you paid by Paypal, you're covered anyway, right? Don't worry, it looks genuine to me. Whilst most of Apple's products are packaged immaculately, Applecare isn't really that big a deal for them on the aesthetics side of things.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

I have never seen an Apple product that had bad packaging, it is probably a fake. Did the guy that sold it to you have good rep on ebay?

5. GoPro thread starter macrumors member

I'm covered by ebay and paypal for up to 45 days, apparently its not uncommon for people to find months after activating their applecare and receiving a confirmation email of validity from apple that their applecare is void.

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Apple would know if you gave them the serial.

7. GoPro thread starter macrumors member

8. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

Yes calling Apple is always the best way to go.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

10. GoPro, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

GoPro thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to open it since I won't be able to return it and I don't have proof that it will be void months from now.

Just means 44 others have fallen for potentially fake AppleCare :D

11. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

[/COLOR]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

*Not including what is bad by design :)
    [​IMG]
    This has too much contrast...

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You obscured the serial in the photo. You don't need to open it to call and verify with Apple directly.

13. GoPro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow. I thought it was the serial on the inside which was used though.

14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Was it from an Authorized Apple Dealer..??

I am not sure of the requirements where you are, but in Canada, Apple requires a pdf/jpg of Proof of Purchase for your Applecare package from an Authorized Dealer.. I hope that if it is the same where you are, that you are good accordingly.. :apple:

I can only 'assume' that Apple changed this (about 2-3 years ago I recall) because of some unscrupulous sellers, likely on ebay.. Good Luck!!

15. noobinator macrumors 601