Is my applecare voided?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insignificantMB, Oct 4, 2009.

1. insignificantMB macrumors member

I have a unibody macbook pro 15" that i got last year exactly on october 14.
    I dropped it on the floor once, but the only thing wrong with it is a scratch on the side. Plus I have some non-purchased software like adobe cs4 and microsoft. Should I still extend my applecare by 2 years or is it already voided? I haven't gotten the applecare yet, but I will if it'll work for my macbook pro.

Also, can I trust the cheap applecares on ebay? Or will they die on me 1 month in.

I can hold off on extending it til this year october 14 right?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Scippy macrumors regular

The scrach should be fine depending on who's looking at it.
    If you're going to buy applecare through eBay, make sure the seller has very high feedback.

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

why not call applecare and ask? you don't have to give your computers serial number...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you dropped the laptop and there's visible damage (other then the scratch) then yes your warranty is voided. If you only have a scratch, then no, your warranty is intact.

In other words, if you MBP now has a dent, your SOL

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not really. Applecare doesn't cover cosmetic or user-created damage, but if they determine that said damage caused something else to fail (say, a scratch on the screen ruined the LCD, or dropping the machine caused a hard drive failure) then the resultant damage isn't covered either.

It's not as if you totally negate your coverage if you dropped your machine, it just opens the door a little wider for Apple to wiggle out of repairing your machine for "free."

7. MasterDev macrumors 65816

If you can afford a MBP, then clearly you should be able to PURCHASE these items. Do us all a favor and stop stealing asshat.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point is that is there was a dent, and then the OP took it in for service, they'd say the warranty is voided because he dropped it. I've read too many of these threads to see that they apple sees any damage to the case, they typically just reject the warranty work

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not necessarily. Dents or drops don't void Applecare entirely, and to say that they do is false.