Is my AppleTV 2 Worth Anything?

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I recently upgraded from the Apple TV 2 (720) to the 4K. The 4K is amazing! I feel bad having unused hardware sitting around. Is the old Apple TV worth anything? I seem to recall reading that it was the last one that could be jail broken, so perhaps it has value to a certain community. Any insight?

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
I seem to recall reading that it was the last one that could be jail broken, so perhaps it has value to a certain community.
I remember something like that as well, which is why I keep mine around.

Maybe one day, I might mess around with it and see what I can do with it. I think I read somewhere about people putting classic console emulators on it.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I remember something like that as well, which is why I keep mine around.

Maybe one day, I might mess around with it and see what I can do with it. I think I read somewhere about people putting classic console emulators on it.
I see you around all the time on the forums, and I always want to tell you that that's a nice MR2. I miss my Mark 2...

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
I see you around all the time on the forums, and I always want to tell you that that's a nice MR2. I miss my Mark 2...
Thanks, I don't get to drive it much lately. I have a two y/o and while I have driven my MR2 with my other children in the car, my wife said she would kill me if I put our baby in there.

I take the baby to her daycare on my commute, so I can't drive it during the work week, and my wife works on Saturday, so that just leaves me with Sunday to drive it if I have no other plans.

It is a very fun car to drive though, but it is getting harder and harder to find parts for it.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Here in the UK, the ATV 2 and ATV 3 still fetch good prices on Ebay! The last time that I looked, great condition ATV 3's were going for over RRP - some £70+

ATV 2 was amazing for many years. It was the one that allowed me to 'cut the cord'. For me, it was a game changer!

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
Thanks, I don't get to drive it much lately. I have a two y/o and while I have driven my MR2 with my other children in the car, my wife said she would kill me if I put our baby in there.

I take the baby to her daycare on my commute, so I can't drive it during the work week, and my wife works on Saturday, so that just leaves me with Sunday to drive it if I have no other plans.

It is a very fun car to drive though, but it is getting harder and harder to find parts for it.
I ended up selling mine last year because we needed me to have a car the kids could fit in and I didn't have anywhere to keep it. Sigh... It was fun to drive, but it was getting old.
[doublepost=1527802800][/doublepost]
Here in the UK, the ATV 2 and ATV 3 still fetch good prices on Ebay! The last time that I looked, great condition ATV 3's were going for over RRP - some £70+

ATV 2 was amazing for many years. It was the one that allowed me to 'cut the cord'. For me, it was a game changer!
Agreed. Never needed anything once I got the AppleTV and could airplay. I love that thing!

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Morien

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
You should be able to sell it for an OK price. Problem is that when jailbreaking these was a great idea there weren't a bunch of other easy devices to use. For Kodi you had to have a HTPC. Now though there is a proliferation of devices, and even the proper Android TV ones (as opposed to Android mobile without a screen) can be had for decent prices, and perform much better.

Check ebay for how much they are going for in your area and decide either to keep it as an Airplay receiver, or gift it/sell it.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
You should be able to sell it for an OK price. Problem is that when jailbreaking these was a great idea there weren't a bunch of other easy devices to use. For Kodi you had to have a HTPC. Now though there is a proliferation of devices, and even the proper Android TV ones (as opposed to Android mobile without a screen) can be had for decent prices, and perform much better.

Check ebay for how much they are going for in your area and decide either to keep it as an Airplay receiver, or gift it/sell it.
I get annoyed selling on ebay because they take a cut (which is fair) but it's annoying nonetheless. I wish I had enough posts to use the MacRumors marketplace. I've been a reader since the early 2000s and a member since 2012, but I just don't post very much!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Are you just trying to get some $ back? If not, and you have a 2nd TV, you could use this for airplay, to airplay your pics/vids in your iphone/ipad or other things that you don't care is only going to be 720p. I've also known people to take an ATV 2 or 3 and mod the power to it to use it for airplay in their vehicle.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Suggestion: Keep it as a "portable" Apple TV.

I take our Apple TV 2 "on the road." Very handy for Airplay in a hotel, camp, relatives house or wherever. Just don't forget to pack the power cord and an HDMI cable. ;)

Cycling Asia

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2016
If you jailbreak it, you can set up an ad blocking DNS server, give it a static IP address and then configure your router/modem to serve the ATV as the primary DNS server. No more youtube ads (or many other ads) on any of your devices that are connected to your home network.

You could also install lighttpd (web server), then write your own Apple TV apps (your code just needs to output valid Apple TV XML). I wrote an IPTV app so my wife can stream TV from Thailand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.