Is my battery bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Orizence, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Orizence macrumors 6502

I have had this 2015 13" Macbook for about two or three months now and at 29 load cycles my maximum charge is reported at 6850mAH. When I got this laptop it reported itself as around 7250mAH. Is my battery degrading abnormally fast in your opinion, or is it just me?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Don't check battery health. Just fuels paranoia. Lithium will always deplete and fluctuate; it's the nature of the beast.

You should only start to worry about the battery health if you actually encounter issues with battery life through real usage. If you look for problems, you'll always fine them.

3. kohlson macrumors 6502a

4. Orizence thread starter macrumors 6502

I called Apple and they said it the decrease wasn't too bad bad and I should just check up every once in a while too see if it drops drastically. But he did say my battery is somewhat normal from what he has seen

5. GGJstudios, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your portable Mac has a built-in battery, you don’t need to calibrate the battery. Doing so will not only not improve performance, it will degrade your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I would be more worried if the deterioration curve persists over the next couple of months. Battery capacity does not decay linearly with time or charge cycles. If you however do encounter any unexpected shutdowns, then you should take it to Apple and get it checked out asap.

7. smirking macrumors 6502a

I don't want to fuel your paranoia and what others have said about batteries fluctuating is true, but I've owned many Mac laptops and ever since they've come out with the unibody Macs that have long battery lives, I've rarely seen any meaningful drop in my battery capacity numbers before I hit 100 load cycles. The kind of drop you've seen wouldn't make me sound the alarm just yet, but it would make me... well, a little bit paranoid.

And I'm naturally a bit more paranoid right now than the others because I just had to replace a MBP battery that started acting up well before 100 load cycles. This battery gave me hints that it wasn't right pretty early on, but I had no obvious evidence of it being bad so I just shrugged.

Anyway... as mtneer said, it's probably not time to worry yet, but if it keeps up, get something done while it's still under warranty.

8. Orizence thread starter macrumors 6502

Im also a bit worried, because when I was cleaning my screen once I spilt the cleaner on the the keyboard and a bit got on the top seam of the trackpad (I still have myself for that), and if I have to get this battery replaced Im worried they will see the liquid damage indicator/indicators that may or may not have gone off and not actually replace the battery. Oh well, ill worry about it when the time comes along