Is my battery dead??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bezbozny, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Bezbozny macrumors member

Unfortunately i was away from home for the last 3 months and i forgot to remove the battery from my macbook pro 2,2. Now when i use the macbook pro it turns off suddendly when the battery is at 79% charge.... I tried to callibrate the battery and reset the SMC, but i see no change...
    Is the battery dead? And even if it is shouldnt i get a warning or something before it goes dead?
    Is there anything that i can do or should i start looking for a new battery? I must mentione that this happened also after upgrading to snow leopard. I do not know if it has anything to do with it, but i remember when i upgraded to leopard i had my battery replaced under warranty cause the computer would turn off suddendly when the battery would each 30%...

Thank you in advance for any help,

Bezbozny.

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

Is the battery replaced still within a year?
    It is still under warranty if i am not wrong.

Try coconut battery and see what does it says

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You'll have to get a new one :(

Though you should try iStat and see what that says first:D

4. Bezbozny thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your replies. Both coconut battery and istat show the battery as healthy at 90% health and 100% charged. About the warranty it has already been 2 years since I had it replaced.
    Does anyone here has experience with other batteries than the ones from apple to replace mine? I found some that have a higher capacity and they say better life span than apples oem batteries.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

About the new batteries, they may not fit into Apple's computers as Apple's new Mac Book Pros have special battery bays I think. Go into a store that has the battery you want to buy for your MBP and try fit the battery in right there in the store. Apple's batteries range from 100 to 200 NZD I think. Also, does the computer crash without the battery being in the computer, so its just running of the power adaptor?

6. Bezbozny thread starter macrumors member

The computer crashes only when it runs on battery and the capacity drops to 70% approximately

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ok so the battery is the problem. I think if 3rd party batteries don't work you may need to buy one of Apple's pricey batteries:(

8. Bezbozny thread starter macrumors member