Is my battery defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aKeio, Dec 19, 2011.

1. aKeio macrumors newbie

I took a look at the Battery FAQ and it states the following..

I have a mid-2010 13"MBP... iStat is telling me I have 84% battery health at 114 cycles.

Seems a little low for only 114 cycles.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP comes with a built-in battery, so it's 1000 cycles, not 300. From the FAQ:
    It's normal for your health to fluctuate up and down over time. Having said that, it looks like you run on AC power most of the time, having so few cycles. If that's the case, you should cycle your battery more often. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

To answer the OPs question:

No, your battery is not defective at this point.

It is hard to guess why your battery health is already down to this relatively low level. Might be improper use (see GJJstudios reply), but could also just be bad luck. However it would need to drop below 80% to be considered defective.

Nevertheless you could take it to an Apple store and let them have a look at it... they might replace the battery for you (provided you're still covered under warranty), but at this point they don't have to.

4. aKeio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah I primarily run on AC, as it is generally plugged in at work and what not.

I'll start using it off AC a little more and hopefully I can recalbirate the battery a little bit better.

If it needs to be <80% for it to be considered 'defective', then I'll just keep using it as is and see where I end up. I still have apple care (apple care cover battery the same way as defective battery according to the guide...) so I should be okay?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to calibrate your battery.

6. canada eh macrumors regular

I too want to know if mine would be considered defective.

I have a Mid 09' 13" MBP (built in battery) and I have run 753 charges since then and my battery health is at 73%. I have been getting 'Service Battery' warning for the past few months.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the Battery FAQ? Especially the BATTERY LIFESPAN section?

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Let me answer that for him?

I think NO is the short answer :)

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No. Apple just makes the OS say "service battery" for fun. It doesn't mean that you actually should have the battery serviced. In that case, they would say "DO NOT Service battery." This is part of the inside jokes that all Apple products come with. Once you own a few Apple products, you get to know and understand them!

10. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

just bring it in. I've had them replace a few batteries over the years that were out of spec and no problems.