Is my battery going bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dawgfan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

I'm not a heavy user and the iphone 4 usually goes to the charger at night with about 80% remaining on the battery.

Yesterday afternoon I felt a vibration around 5pm and the phone indicated low battery warning of about 20%. This has never happened.

The phone is less than 2 years old. Is the battery going out?

2. batting1000, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

batting1000 macrumors 604

You can try a restore and set it up as new.

What do your battery stats say? (Settings > General > Usage > Standby and Usage times)

3. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

4. docmagoo2 macrumors member

It's easy to replace an iPhone 4 battery. Buy one off eBay and go to ifixit for a replacement guide. Check other things first tho, ensure email push etc is working ok. My battery was draining really rapidly until I realised the email had incorrect settings and it was continually trying to send emails. Those usage stats are pretty low....

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

What percentage are you at right now?

----------

Wouldn't suggest you do that unless you really know what you're doing. You could screw things up and Apple can refuse to help you.

6. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

92% - it all looks normal so far today. It was such a surprise yesterday as that has never happened before...

----------

Thanks for the advise about replacing the battery; however, my eyes are not good enough on stuff that small anymore. :(

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

It sounds about average right now. I'm not sure what happened before, but if it does that more often, head over to Apple.

8. docmagoo2 macrumors member

I consider myself fairly cackhanded and I recently replaced the main board on my iPhone 4. Important to note was I'm well out of warranty tho and had very little to lose. Battery involves 3 screws tho so fairly simple and there are NO warranty stickers involved

9. B2FiNiTY macrumors member

Sometimes the battery goes a little wacky...

just run it down to 0% and recharge it back to max.

See what happens from there.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You should try and do this every month. I had the same problem with my 4. I charged it every night and wasn't taking it down to nothing. After I had this problem (about 8 months ago) I read up that you should do this. Now it's been fine ever since.