Is my battery going bad?

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
I'm not a heavy user and the iphone 4 usually goes to the charger at night with about 80% remaining on the battery.

Yesterday afternoon I felt a vibration around 5pm and the phone indicated low battery warning of about 20%. This has never happened.

The phone is less than 2 years old. Is the battery going out?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm not a heavy user and the iphone 4 usually goes to the charger at night with about 80% remaining on the battery.

Yesterday afternoon I felt a vibration around 5pm and the phone indicated low battery warning of about 20%. This has never happened.

The phone is less than 2 years old. Is the battery going out?
You can try a restore and set it up as new.

What do your battery stats say? (Settings > General > Usage > Standby and Usage times)

Last edited:

docmagoo2

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
It's easy to replace an iPhone 4 battery. Buy one off eBay and go to ifixit for a replacement guide. Check other things first tho, ensure email push etc is working ok. My battery was draining really rapidly until I realised the email had incorrect settings and it was continually trying to send emails. Those usage stats are pretty low....

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Usage 40 minutes
Standby 5 hours, 11 minutes
What percentage are you at right now?

----------

It's easy to replace an iPhone 4 battery. Buy one off eBay and go to ifixit for a replacement guide. Check other things first tho, ensure email push etc is working ok. My battery was draining really rapidly until I realised the email had incorrect settings and it was continually trying to send emails. Those usage stats are pretty low....
Wouldn't suggest you do that unless you really know what you're doing. You could screw things up and Apple can refuse to help you.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
92% - it all looks normal so far today. It was such a surprise yesterday as that has never happened before...

----------

Thanks for the advise about replacing the battery; however, my eyes are not good enough on stuff that small anymore. :(

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
92% - it all looks normal so far today. It was such a surprise yesterday as that has never happened before...

----------

Thanks for the advise about replacing the battery; however, my eyes are not good enough on stuff that small anymore. :(
It sounds about average right now. I'm not sure what happened before, but if it does that more often, head over to Apple.

docmagoo2

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
What percentage are you at right now?

----------

Wouldn't suggest you do that unless you really know what you're doing. You could screw things up and Apple can refuse to help you.
I consider myself fairly cackhanded and I recently replaced the main board on my iPhone 4. Important to note was I'm well out of warranty tho and had very little to lose. Battery involves 3 screws tho so fairly simple and there are NO warranty stickers involved

B2FiNiTY

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011
Sometimes the battery goes a little wacky...

just run it down to 0% and recharge it back to max.

See what happens from there.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sometimes the battery goes a little wacky...

just run it down to 0% and recharge it back to max.

See what happens from there.
You should try and do this every month. I had the same problem with my 4. I charged it every night and wasn't taking it down to nothing. After I had this problem (about 8 months ago) I read up that you should do this. Now it's been fine ever since.