Is my battery going bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hdsalinas, Nov 17, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Lately I have noticed that my 11 months old MBP's battery is not lasting much. I would say even less than an hour.

Right now I have set my screen brightness to about 3/4 with both wifi and bluetooth on (I use a BT mouse). I dont have a DVD inside and besides safari and Coconut Battery I have no apps running.

When plugged, the battery meter only gets as high as 96%. I Left my MBP charging all night and I have now unplugged it to see how long it will last.

I have posted a screen capture of coconut battery (CB) so that you can see what my problem is. The battery's full capacity is 5500 mAh, but CB estimates the current capacity less than half of what it should be.

I dont think that I have ever calibrated my battery before. I will attempt to do that right now and see how it works out. I keep my MBP plugged all the time. I only occasionally use the battery when roaming around the house or when I am out of the office. But I would say that 90% of the time that I use my mac it is plugged.

So is my battery dying or this is the normal life expectancy?

Attached Files:

2. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

30 minutes

My MBP just turned off, I timed the battery life from a full charge and it only lasted exactly 30 minutes

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Since your machine is only 11 months old, it should still be under warranty. You should call Applecare asap and tell them about the problem. The representative will ask you a few questions regarding cycle count and capacity (in mAh), which are available in System Profiler. Your battery should meet both criteria for replacement.