iPhone 7(+) Is my battery life normal for a 7 Plus? And issues with 'usage'.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raymanh, May 25, 2018.

1. raymanh macrumors member

I recently got a used 7 Plus to replace my ageing, cracked 5c. When I got it, I reset it, set it up as a new phone and then updated to iOS 11.3.1 (from iOS 11.2.something).

I heard battery life from the plus models was supposed to be amazing, but it felt a bit disappointing. I could see the battery percentage going down quite quickly while using it, and it seemed like it would fall at the same rate regardless of whether I was just surfing on safari or doing VR stuff. Standby was pretty good however. Bear in mind this was the day after the iOS update, and I know I need to wait for the phone to 'index' among other things.

I just went through another full charge and have the stats so I wanted to ask if this is normal battery life. Again I noticed when on screen, the battery falls regardless if you're just reading an article on safari or playing a game. I also noticed that the percentages do not drop smoothly. I.e. sometimes it stays at a percentage for a while, and then other times it'll go down a few percent really quickly; all while in the same app.

I've attached photos of this last run. I removed it from the charger at 3pm yesterday, it had been charging at 100% for about an hour prior to really make sure it was at full capacity. It died at midday today, giving 21 hours of total time on battery.

Settings;

- WiFi, cellular, Bluetooth were all on. Was used at home the entire time, so internet usage was 100% WiFi Airdrop off.

- Handoff on.

- Location services on for all apps that require it, but only on 'while using'.

- system location services as default; pretty much all on

- Hey Siri off.

- raise to wake off.

- Background app refresh off.

- Mail set to fetch every 30 minutes (automatic fetching doesn't seem to work well).

- Screen brightness; auto, but set to around 40% the entire time.

- low power mode automatically enabled at 20%.

- (battery at 93% of maximum capacity)

I think that's everything that's important. Battery stats below, just before dying.

Also, when adding up the times on each app (on screen and background), it comes to about 7 hours 20 minutes. However 'usage' is stated as 10 hours 33. The difference is even bigger considering the 7h 20 figure is from the previous 24 hours, whereas 'usage' is since last charge, which was only 21 hours ago. So there is at minimum a difference of about 3 hours here, whats going on here?

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_0086.PNG IMG_0087.PNG IMG_0088.PNG

2. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

That’s normal. The plus phones get good battery life, but not amazing.