Is my battery life normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by londoner888, Apr 4, 2011.

1. londoner888, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I have an iPad 2 wifi-only model.

I fully charged it and have been using it for the last 45 minutes now non-stop (checking mail and safari with brightness at middle) and it's already dropped to 87%.

Based on this usage that would give me just under 6 hours battery.
    I don't expect to get the full 10 hours that Apple claim, but the fact that I'm getting just over a half of what they claim makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my iPad?

I understand some factors may affect performance...maybe 10 hours is with brightness set at lowest or maybe the percentage is not that accurate as an indicator.

Just wondered how much battery you guys get from a full charge and if any of you have got close to 10 hours?

2. X2468 macrumors regular

3. snugja macrumors regular

Same here

Same thing here. I noticed the battery on the iPad 2 would drop MUCH faster than on the iPad 1. So I took mine in for an exchange. They ran some tests and said there were no hardware failures or software errors, but that they'd exchange it anyhow.

I'm experiencing the same thing with the replacement iPad 2. I love how fast it is and I love the design, but I wish the battery life were the same.

4. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Been using it for just over a week now and I would say battery life has improved and getting same amount of battery life I got with iPad 1. Turned down the brightness slightly but had the same issues to start with. Now I would say much improved. I think after calibrating the battery as recommended. That and the wifi too - I found at first the wifi would not automatically connect but it seems to have learnt not to use the 3G at home.

5. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I don't time the battery life, I charge it after using it for two days.

This is what I use frequently with Bluetooth to Hotspot with my iPhone 3GS.

Videos
    iPod
    Safari
    Zite (App)

A tip I learned here (iPhone), TURN OFF the Battery Percentage because it will drive you crazy. LOL

Sorry, this is on 64GB iPad 3G.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

So true.. Use it until the battery is low and then recharge it. Stop worrying about it so much and just enjoy the device...

7. ravenas macrumors regular

I noticed my iPad2's battery indicator is dropping fast as well. I haven't run out of charge yet but it routinely drops to 20% with a normal day's usage (video, web browsing, reading, etc.). My iPad1 did all that and still showed around 50%.

8. joemeetsjane macrumors member

you know how we hear everyday that x scientists has discovered a way to make a paper thin battery or a battery that lasts forever and 2 days that is only as tiny as a glint in your eye..

i really hope those go into mass production soon for our iDevices. i'd like to only have to recharge my device every month or something. that'd be a killer :p

9. itzcoolz macrumors regular

i'm noticing the same difference between the iPad1 and 2. the drain while it's sleeping is notable. about 10% over 5hrs.

i tried recalibrating the battery (letting it drain completely and then letting it fully recharge), and i'll give it a few more days, but if it does not improve, i'm tempted to bring it into the apple store.

10. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Are you guys all on 4.3.1? Ive had amazing battery life since updating. It was fine before, but now its pretty fantastic... Even with heavy use i only have to charge once a day (at night when i go to bed).

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I had a day full of running around, today, and I left my iPad at home. It was fully charged to 100%, and not charging when I left. It was left in sleep mode for over 11 hrs. When I started using her tonight, she still had a 100% charge. I've been using her for 4 hrs straight, typing a document, listening to music, checking email, and web surfing, she's down to 70% now. I'm gonna leave her unplugged tonight and she what her charge is tomorrow.

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

ping

did you disable ping? that did it for me, my ipad 2 now sits at 100-95% for over and hour. Use it daily, haven't charged it in three days now, and it is at about 55%.

13. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

iPad 2 with 4.3.1 is noticeably worse than iPad 1 under 4.3, and my usage hasn't changed. Didn't get chance to use iPad 1 with 4.3.1, updated and then sent her off to her new home.

14. hwu182 macrumors member

I know that the furst few runs usually will havr lower battery life just based on my experience. Of course Apple diesnt admit that and some users belive lithium batteries shouldnt do that, but its a fact of t he tech.

15. nacho1 macrumors newbie

Mine too is nowhere near the 10 hours mentioned.

First iPad so this is kinda what I expected...