Is my battery life normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mynameisrichard, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mynameisrichard macrumors member

With all this talk about ****** battery life, I want to see how mine is doing. I have a 16GB white btw.

This is how I've been using it.
    1/3 Brightness, Auto-Brightness Off
    Location Off when not used
    3G on
    Wi-Fi on
    No Push/Fetch (all manual)

Here's a screenshot I took right after the phone died and I plugged it back in for charge. I took it off the charger this morning around 9:15AM when I was on my way to work and used it accordingly. I just plugged it back in a little after 2AM.

Out of that Usage time, about 4 hours were internet usage (mostly 3G with some Edge and WiFi.) about 20-25 minutes was Maps with GPS, about half an hour iPod, about an hour and a half on the phone, half an hour using AIM, and about 75 text messages sent (I didn't text much at all today). How's my usage going? I've fully discharged it once yesterday, did a full charge and just emptied it once again now so I can fully charge it up and let it die a third time just for safe measure. Is my battery life living up to what it should? Am I feeling like it doesn't last that long cause the phone is new to me and I'm using it so much?

Attached Files:

2. ottergal macrumors member

I think that you have to decide for yourself. Keep in mind here's what Apple says the battery should handle (via wikipedia)

The iPhone 3G's battery is stated to be capable of providing up to seven hours of video, six hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi or five on 3G, ten hours of 2G talk time, or five on 3G, 24 hours of music, or 300 hours of standby.[

Those specs are based on single usage, not blended. Meaning, you should get UP TO 7 hours of video OR 300 hours of standby. You said you used the internet for 4 hours and it says you should get 5/6 depending on your connection. Plus you talked, used music, etc. And it's been 16 hours since your last charge. Personally, I don't know that I would be concerned because it seems like it's acting like you might expect.

I have a question though.. I haven't found any evidence that charge/discharge cycles need to be done on this type of battery. Do you have a link or something that says that it's good to do? I'm not sure that it hurts, but I have yet to see proof that it helps. :)

thanks!