Is my battery OK? MacBook Pro 2011 early

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bojan, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Bojan macrumors member

Bojan

I got my MBP in April this year and after 177 cycles my battery is at 93% of the health.

I was wondering is this pace of detoiration ok? And should I take closer look at my battery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's quite normal, aside from the fact that you have a rather high number of cycles on it. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. dusk007, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well I can only tell you what I know from my own experience.
    At about the same age my battery was at 94% and it kept dropping every few months. Now after about 1.5 years of use it is at 89%. I doubt the 5 years will work because it just doesn't stop going lower. Since I have it no calibration or anything changed a thing it keeps dropping at a very consistent steady rate.
    I still got my extended warranty and if it keeps at this speed before the warranty ends I will complain and let them switch it.
    And don't go about using it in any special way. I had 2-3 months where I used it almost daily a few hours and months where it was plugged almost the whole time only pulling the plug occasionally. The pace of deterioation never changed the least bit.
    I think this battery thing is a 80% luck game. Sometimes get a good one some a bad one. The usage only has little impact or the usage that you can influence at least because after all you do what you have to do and cannot change your routine so the battery has it more comfy.

That is my 2 cents. My old Samsung battery in a notebook I bought some 6 years ago with a conventional battery and not some advanced special 1000 cycle 5 year battery but a standard 300 cycle 3 year battery kept its charge much longer (with similar usage). It dropped under 95% after 3 years (I did calibrate it occasionally) and only at the end of the forth year it started to deteriorate quite quickly.
    Funny also my MBP was advertised with 8-9h battery and I get 4-5h at best. My Samsung was advertised at 4.5h and I got 3-5h. I did undervolt the Samsung, do more work on the MBP and the MBP has a brighter screen but still it doesn't matter what battery life you get on idle what matters is what you get when you use it.

4. Bojan, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011

Bojan thread starter macrumors member

Bojan

Consecutive posts

I am getting 5-6 hours if it is surf/music or video in vlc.

Some programs that I use sometimes drop battery to 4 hours. Occasionally I keep it on plug, occassionally I discharge it to 20%

I am getting mba soon, so I wont worry much. Will get extended warranty and do as you will...

I was discharging on daily basis forst. Like one charge a day, sometimes 2, so those are real cycles