Is my battery ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dandon, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Dandon macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I bought my Macbook pro 13" (mid 2012) in mid January 2013.
    I checked today my battery with CoconutBattery application and it says the battery capacity is 93%. my battery cycles on 27.
    I think it is too low...what do you think? is my battery ok?:confused:
    (On March 1st it was on 96%)

Thanks everyone!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think people spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about the battery its cycles. If the battery holds a charge and provides power for the length of time you expect it, then don't worry how many cycles the app states.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Add + 1 gazillion, especially if you start mentioning temperature monitoring...

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Seriously? USE THE DARN COMPUTER!

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, I have to disagree. I think everyone should be VERY WORRIED about their batteries, and check the cycle count and battery health indicators at least every 2-3 hours.

See, you think our electronic, battery operated devices are there just to be enjoyed, do work, learn stuff...and generally be something we use comfortably.

But you are WRONG!! They are to be worried over, microscopically inspected, constantly monitored, and generally be the source of major concern over minutia.

Try to get this all straight, will'ya!!??

6. Dandon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not worry about the cycles. I worry about the battery capacity. It's not seems normal to me that after only 2.5 months its says 93% :|
    What will be in a few months? I know the battery should work for ~3 years.
    I have a friend that has 3 years old Macbook with 87%.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Haven't opened Coconut Battery in like a month.

8. simsaladimbamba

It fluctuates, and if you want to learn more about that *****, go here.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Laptop Battery Guide - Mac Guides

You shouldn't worry, worry if they get less than 80% with less than 1000 cycles.
    It will stabilise, just wait and see and come back if it gets less than the 80%

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Your battery health will change constantly. Today it can say 93%, next week it could be back to 100%

11. Dandon thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks!

----------

it change constantly, but always going down. It was 98% then 96% now 93%...

12. simsaladimbamba

Again, it fluctuates. Look at the link posted in post #8 by me.

13. Dandon thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw the link you posted, thank you.

14. remzibi macrumors newbie

remzibi

I suppose that something wrong with your battery , you can try to made a calibration but looks like one cell in battery going to be failed .

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

New Apple batteries come pre-calibrated and don't need to be calibrated again.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.
    It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

17. Dandon thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I know it and I read the link, thanks!
    I'm worry because my macbook is only 2.5 months and the % of maximum capacity is about 93%, it feels too low for me. As I said I have a friend with 3 years old macbook with 87% and we do the same thing with it. (Browsing, music, documents...)

18. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I believe you could compare this to a Gas Gauge in a car.. Some are FAR more accurate than others across the range from a Full to Empty Tank, and almost NEVER is a half-full tank show HALF on the gauge.. ** Do you think it has actually LOST 'Usage Time' as well..?? That would be the true telling point, but is always very difficult to predict unless doing the same tasks over and over daily.. **

In a few months if it truly has gone WAY down from 'acceptable' then Apple will likely replace it without question.. There is a better chance that the battery is Normal than there is that it is Flawed.. :apple:

My MBP (almost 1 1/2 years old) has regularly varied between 87-94% over the past year, depending upon what I was doing and how much I drained it between charges.. Today, with 323 Cycles, it says 90%.. I think just use it as you normally would and don't worry for a few months.. ;)

19. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am worried that you are worrying too much. Are you worried that you car does 1km less than previous month?

20. Dandon thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thank you for your comment :)
    I'm new in Apple stuff so maybe i'm worry too much.
    I will wait and see what happen in a few months.

----------

Well I guess I worry so much is because this is my first Apple stuff..so i'm new in all this.

I will wait and see what will happen in a few months. Thanks!

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not too low. It will fluctuate up and down over time. It may decline rapidly at some point, then stay around the same percentage for a very long time. All batteries eventually die, but it's not a straight, predictable decline. Just relax and enjoy your Mac.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

22. Dandon thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. Thank you very much for your comment!:)