Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
According to a coconut battery reading.. over 9 months I have lost 9%.. so obviously im at 91%.. considering the elapsed time is this good or should I be more careful w/ my battery?

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Batteries lose capacity for two reasons:

a) Over time, naturally
b) Excessive uncharging and charging again

Though batteries do lose capacity over time, it's very slow - nothing near 9% over nine months.

In case you didn't know, a "cycle" is one complete uncharging of the battery. So if you run the battery down to 40%, recharge it completely then run the battery down to 60% later, that's a total of 100% charge lost and one cycle is recorded. Run Coconut Battery again - how many cycles do you have?

It also has to do with time between cycles. How often, generally, do you uncharge and charge it again? How much time is elapsed between these?

coastertux

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
thegreatluke said:
In case you didn't know, a "cycle" is one complete uncharging of the battery. So if you run the battery down to 40%, recharge it completely then run the battery down to 60% later, that's a total of 100% charge lost and one cycle is recorded. Run Coconut Battery again - how many cycles do you have?

Actually, I think coconutBattery records a partial discharge/charge as a cycle because I have discharged completely once and partially once and coconutBattery reports 2 cycles.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
thegreatluke said:
b) Excessive uncharging and charging again

This could be it.. I'd say on average I go through a charge cycle a day. There's no way around this though if I use it everyday is there?

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah that seems unusually low for only 9 months. I just checked on mine, which is reading 90% after 26 months. I discharge and charge this thing all the time too.

edit: aren't there battery calibration programs out there? I've heard of them, thought coconut battery was one, but I guess I was wrong. What's out there?

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
coastertux said:
Actually, I think coconutBattery records a partial discharge/charge as a cycle because I have discharged completely once and partially once and coconutBattery reports 2 cycles.

Your battery was probably cycled before you received it.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
I think you got it right iTwitch. I did another partial cycle yesterday and coconutBattery still reads 2 cycles. I was wondering, after a full calibration cycle and a partial cycle, my capacity was greater than the original capacity. Now after my second partial cycle, it's only 97% of the original. Is this a problem?

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
About the two cycles thing, I believe either Coconut Battery or OS X rounds a partial cycle (just the most recent one) up to the next whole number. So if you do another partial battery cycle that would amount to a whole one, it'll probably still read 2 cycles.

rye9 said:
Should i be worried about mine then? Since it seems everyone elses are much better than mine.
One cycle a day is pretty high for battery usage.
But 9% over nine months isn't anything to be worried about.

My best suggestion would be to try to not make as many cycles. Maybe you could try plugging it in whever you're near a power outlet? Just try to keep it plugged in whenever possible.

Another alternative would be to continue using it as you do until the capacity is so low the battery is unusable. Then you could just buy a new battery on eBay. A new battery for an iBook G4 would probably be around $50 or $60 US new at that point.

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
ok my mac is 8 weeks old, and i am down to 92%.....this sucks...not happy what is apples stand on this

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
thegreatluke said:
My best suggestion would be to try to not make as many cycles. Maybe you could try plugging it in whever you're near a power outlet? Just try to keep it plugged in whenever possible.

My iBook never moves and is near a power outlet 24/7.. is it really a good idea to ALWAYS have it plugged in? then the battery never will get used.. which also reduces capacity. :(

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
rye9 said:
My iBook never moves and is near a power outlet 24/7.. is it really a good idea to ALWAYS have it plugged in? then the battery never will get used.. which also reduces capacity. :(

Theoretically speaking, your battery should only need to be calibrated.

My MBP's battery is recording 92% efficiency left, and is the same since Sunday. It was 94% before that, and has pretty much stayed the same. Calibration seems to do nothing. :(

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
rye9 said:

Mine too, but if you calibrate your battery every 4-5 weeks as your supposed to everything will be fine. Calibration involves complete draining and recharging of the battery.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I guess it's fine... I mean a couple months ago I actually had more capacity than the battery started with according to coconutbattery... weird, but i guess an OS update caused that. Now I have 9% less capacity.. but I was on 0% charge for 10 minutes when I calibrated earlier... so mayb readings are off.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Mine was at 95% the day I got it and remained that way even after calibration. Its now at 4976mAh. Never been over 5000.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
rye9 said:
I guess it's fine... I mean a couple months ago I actually had more capacity than the battery started with according to coconutbattery... weird, but i guess an OS update caused that. Now I have 9% less capacity.. but I was on 0% charge for 10 minutes when I calibrated earlier... so mayb readings are off.

Before you start draining the battery for calibration do charge it to 100%?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
^^ There are pretty extensive instructions on the Apple site about calibrating the battery. Follow them and you'll be fine.

EDIT: link to Apple instructions.

For me:
15" PB with 285 load cycles in 18 months, 92% battery.

I'd say it's all good :cool:

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
rye9 said:
If the laptop is never being moved and it's near a power outlet, I'd recommend that it's never running on battery except for calibrating the battery, which should be done once within the first week and then at least once a month after that.

Calibrating the battery, while it does tell your laptop the current capacity of your battery, is more important for the laptop to know when to go into Safe Sleep mode so it doesn't shut down quickly, which can be terrible for the system*.

*Ironically, that's happened to me at least five times do to an unrelated battery problem which is being fixed by Apple. ;)

madtodaimax

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
ive gone to the apple genius bar two times in the past month to complain about my battery. I have 40% capacity and am reaching my 12th month. I have 169 loadcycles. They told me that this is considered normal wear and tear. He explained that I pretty much used my laptop too much. If you think about it, 1 load cycle per day with my load cycle is only about 6 months... I am getting so many loadcycles because the battery life is only about an hour. any ideas on what i can do. i have already recalibrated and reset the pmu.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
You have to factor in here that all batteries are different. Sometimes you'll fall lucky, other times it's a pain.

I've found that if I just use my laptop normally and forget all about it I'm happier! Hey, if the worst comes to the worst just buy a new battery.

After 12 months my ibook had lost 6% btw.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I calibrated it and ever since.. I no longer use a charge cycle each day.. I keep it plugged in all the time... and my capacity went from 91% to 95%! Should I calibrate it again and maybe I'll be at 99%? :rolleyes:

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
madtodaimax said:
ive gone to the apple genius bar two times in the past month to complain about my battery. I have 40% capacity and am reaching my 12th month. I have 169 loadcycles. They told me that this is considered normal wear and tear. He explained that I pretty much used my laptop too much. If you think about it, 1 load cycle per day with my load cycle is only about 6 months... I am getting so many loadcycles because the battery life is only about an hour. any ideas on what i can do. i have already recalibrated and reset the pmu.
What kind of laptop do you have?
Take out the battery (while the laptop is off) and look at it from the edge. Is the battery "bulging?" I've had 60 cycles over five months with my MBP and my capacity was at 40% due to its bulging battery. Maybe mine was just a bad case of the bulging battery. ;)

This has happened on other models though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.