Is my battery okay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatcher146, Aug 1, 2008.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

i have written down the past couple days worth of battery usages..

everything turned OFF (3G, wifi, Location services, push, BT, etc)
    Brightness- 35%

6 hrs usage
    16 hrs 52 minutes stand by 20% mark
    (4-5 hours talk time, sent/received 75 text-thats all)

4 hrs usage
    14 hours 38 minutes standby 30% mark
    (didnt do much this day.. 2 hours at most talk time, but heavy texting)

3 hrs usage
    13 hours 21 minutes standby 70% mark
    (2 hours talk, sent/received 50 text-thats all)

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I'd say that sounds pretty standard as of now.

We're all hoping v2.0.1 brings better battery management to the iPhone
    (hey - even the Mac Genius at my local store said he's waiting for better battery management). :rolleyes:

Currently, I'm at 15 hours standby with 2 hours usage from the last full charge.
    The battery is currently about 45%, with everything except edge, off.

I know what it's like to have a defective battery, my previous unit had a battery which lasted 3 hours including standby.
    It's safe to say I exchanged it quickly, and this new unit, compared to it, is Godly. :cool:

R-Fly

3. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

Some days my battery is way worse than those readings..

is it easy to get a replacement through at&t.. or would it be better through apple?

my iPhone also is starting to get cracks around the top which is very annoying.

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

For replacements, I recommend dealing with Apple.

If it's starting to develop cracks, I highly suggest a replacement.

R-Fly

5. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

the reason i ask about dealing with at&t or apple is because of at&t's 30 day policy vs. apples one year manufacturing warranty.

what is that? just for returns?

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Agree with above response to this post. You battery life seems standard. The thing people are missing with battery life is how many times do you touch your iPhone each hour. I touch my iPhone 20-30 times an hour just to check if I get email and put it on standby immediately but that's going to drain the battery.

My iphone's battery life with 3g on/wifi off location service off is about 4 hours prior to getting the 20% left notification and it's dead around 5.5 hours. With about 14 hours of standby. Good enough for a day's use before I recharge for the night.

Now my wife only touches the iPhone to actually use it. She gets about 5.5 hours of usage before the 20% warning notice. 7 hours before it dies. She gets about 30 hours of standby with Wifi on/location on/3g on all the time.

At first I thought it was my iphone but I switched SIM's into our phones and she got about the same usage on my iphone as hers so it's user dependent.

Now if you are only getting 3 hours of usage with 4-5 hours of standby and are barely using it, I would be concern. Also how many bars are you getting and does it switch from 3g to EDGE a lot. When I am at home with 4-5 bars of 3g I get longer battery life while at work I get 1-2 or no bars and switch from 3g to EDGE to nothing and my battery life absolutely sucks and I rarely use the iphone at work, just to answer phone calls.

7. davidjtaylor07 macrumors member

yeah but what do you class as usage? does checking your phone intemitantly as one poster described count as usage or is it when you actually perform a task eg ipod or web browsing?

my battry lasts beween 4 5 hours but this mainly consists of web browing (mainly 3g)
    d

8. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

i probably do touch my iPhone around 30 times per hour... but mainly just waking it up opening something up and putting it back to sleep. i dont use it that much when i just unlock it.

and i dont have 3G in my area. so that is one of my concerns for my battery life.. it shouldn't die down that quickly when i use safari or other web applications.

what is at&t's 30-day policy? just for returns? or would it be better to go to apple if i decide my battery is not that good.

9. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold