Is my Cambridge Soundworks Four Point Surround compatible with Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maw4bc, Feb 16, 2011.

1. maw4bc macrumors regular

I have been using this sound system since about 98 and i have yet to find one that can output something nearly as good as this. This thing is LOUD!! Bass is great and sound is crisp. But as of about 2 years ago I haven't been using a PC so I am wondering if I can get this this hooked up to a mac. Can someone give me an answer on this?

Here is the unit:
    http://download.cambridgesoundworks.com/manuals/FPS2000.pdf

My set up on my old PC was a sound card that I would plug the Audio inputs (left and right) in. Also would plug in the Digit DIN into the Cambridge and it had a converter that would go to the audio out on the sound card.

Thanks for the help.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Seems to have a normal Cinch input, which is the standard input for consumer audio devices apart from an optical input.
    So the answer is yes.

3. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

What exactly is a cinch input? all I see on the unit as far as inputs is:

Audio Inputs [ Front , Back ]
    Digital DIN

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Normally known as RCA or Phono plugs/sockets.

5. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

RCA is typically red, white, yellow. Correct?

Mine are green, black, yellow. is that the same?

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

They can be most colours:

Attached Files:

• RCA.jpg
      RCA.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  7. waw74 macrumors 68030

I have this, they aren't RCA, they are 1/8" or 3.5mm regular jacks, like on headphones.

You can hook them up with a male/male cable. but you'll only get sound out of 2 of the speakers and the sub. If you want sound out of all 4, you'll need to get a splitter, but you'll only have double stereo, (2 left and 2 right), not surround.

pictures:
    male/male cable
    splitter

links are to monoprice, you can get these online, or at your nearest electronics store (shack, best buy, etc...)

the digital din, I don't believe there is anything available to make that work on macs.

8. Mr. Frog macrumors newbie

haha, this is the exact system I had!
    I connected it with the analog pins (1/8) since the digital din doesn't really exist anymore.
    I think it's the same signal than a S/PDIF (with can be converted from a Toslink cable), but I never saw an adaptator doing S/PDIF to the Digital DIN cable.

9. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Are you using this system with your mac setup? If so, How are you set up?

10. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Then you know how great the sound is on the PC's I have had! Did you ever get it working on any of your mac setup?

11. Mr. Frog macrumors newbie

I use it with the analog connection, with only the sub and 2 speakers. The sound still rocks! (I use a big high-quality wire)

I checked, and I don't think it's possible to use the Digital DIN connection:
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t94928-cambridge_soundworks_fps2000_using

It's not compatible with the AC3 S/PDIF signal, you'll need another decoder for that, but if a such decode still exist, I don't know if it's compatible with a Mac and it's gonna cost a bit.

12. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Which wire you using? Thanks for all the help. Shame that I can't fully use these bad boys.

13. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

14. waw74 macrumors 68030

no, there's front, back, and digital din.

the cord is stereo, so plug it into the front, and the sound will come out of the front 2 speakers (nothing out of the back), if you get the splitter i mentioned earlier, you will get left of of front and back left, and right out of front and back right.

15. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The manual states:

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like the unit will automatically route audio to both the front and back speakers if you only connect to the front jack.

16. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Mr. Frog, Have you tested this by chance?

Really appreciate all the help I am getting here. Love these forums. What did people do before the internet?

17. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If you've already got the speaker system, you could try this easily by simply plugging any stereo device (computer, iPod, etc.) into only the Front connector(leaving the Rear unconnected). If sound comes out of all four speakers, you're good to go. Of course, it won't be 4.0 surround; for that you would need a source that had front and rear.

18. waw74 macrumors 68030

experimented
    tried things out for themselves
    learned from their mistakes
    made themselves better prepared for the world
    made themselves better problem solvers
    didn't have to have everything handed to them on a plate

--------------
    Just set the damn things up, play around, learn something, it's just an audio signal, the chances of you doing damage are pretty slim

19. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

yup ive spent my whole life with things handed too me. Thanks for the personal attack when I am trying to get help on an issue I know nothing about. So if you ever have a neurological disorder and need to come into my clinic I will be sure to tell you the following:

experiment
    try things for yourself
    learn from your mistakes
    make yourself better prepared for the world
    make yourself a better problem solver
    dont have everything handed to you on a plate.