Is my carrier GSM or CDMA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by americaroma, Sep 10, 2014.

1. americaroma macrumors regular

I want to get the iphone 6 next friday but having trouble on understanding if it is going to work with my carrier, thing is i have not gotten a straight answer from the sales person that got me Nextel Mexico on whether the carrier is GSM or CDMA so i have been trying to put the dots together but i'm still very confused on this subject.

They gave me a Moto X which i was planning to use meanwhile the iphone 6 was available. The Moto X has a sim card in it. But when i put that sim card on an Verizon Lumia ICON i dont even get service bars... i also tried it on a iphone 5 ATT unlocked and a HTC M8 on tmobile unlocked with the same ''no service'' result...

1. Does the fact that i have a sim card mean its GSM?

2. My Moto X is model xt1053, T-Mobile uses one like that, does that mean that since tmobile is gsm Nextel mexico is also?

3. I was able to look at a sticker placed in a box with an Nextel Iphone 5s in it. It said it was model A1533 and something about M3298E/A... it also has a section with a IMEI/MEID with a 15 digits after that. Does that give any clue as to identify if the phone uses GSM or am i simply out of luck?

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

According to a quick google search Nextel in Mexico is GSM based.

3. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

If indeed it is GSM and assuming the fully paid tmobile version bought from the apple website is unlocked could that mean it will work with Nextel Mexico?

Like i said, i tried the sim on a iphone 5 att unlocked and i got ''no service''... somebody told me i had to enter some APN settings but i was under the impression that APN only meant something to do with internet and not the calling part of the phone.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You shouldn't have to mess with any settings these days, but are you sure the phone was unlocked? You mentioned AT&T, so I assume it was initially on AT&T and the user got it unlocked? For the unlocking process to go through you MUST plug it into iTunes once you get AT&T's unlock email.

I am wondering why you don't just ask your carrier these questions though?

5. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

It was an AT&T version that i bought in an apple store in Houston at full price, i never used it with ATT, when i connected it to my itunes i had a message that said ''congratulations your iphone has been unlocked''... i then used that phone with Telcel and Movistar for over a period of 2 years. So i assume it was unlocked because i bought it from apple and paid full retail ($850)

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Then something is obviously amiss.

But again I ask, why not talk to Nextel Mexico? I am certain they will sort this for you...

7. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

As an aside, recall when the 5s was released. Tons of people were asking about the "Verizon" version of the 5s, because Verizon had recently entered into an FCC settlement, promising to sell fully unlocked versions of the phone.

Tons of posts here on MacRumors, and sure enough, within hours of picking up the 5s, people were reporting the "Verizon" 5s was indeed fully unlocked, all radios operational, and able to use CDMA, GSM, and UST. A true worldphone. That's what I bought, a Verizon 5s -- and immediately used it on T-Mobile.

I'm hoping it's the same with iPhone 6.

8. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, i have talked to the sales rep which is also a friend of mine but she has no clue... guess i need to visit or make a call to Nextel Mexico although i presume they are gonna try to tell me sell me the iphone 5s they offer...

I remember when i had Telcel they would lie to me telling me that an Iphone not bought from them wouldnt work properly bla bla bla, all just to make me purchase one from them.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The sales rep has no clue if the company she works for uses CDMA or GSM technology? That is... astounding...