Is my computer dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by THX1139, Aug 21, 2011.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

So, lately it seems that my fans are on all the time. Even when I'm not doing anything. I have a 2009 unibody... the first version that you have to log out to switch graphics cards. My fans were kicking on when I was viewing a rather small quicktime movie. They usually don't come on unless I'm watching a large HD movie in Flash player. I switched graphics cards to the higher performance one, then shut down all programs that weren't running. Then I lowered the brightness on my display. An hour later and my fans are still running fairly fast.

I realize that fans kick on when the machine gets hot. But, in the past, they have never ran as much while doing so little. I prefer quiet and it bugs me to hear my fans whirring so loud when I don't think they need to be.

I'm under Apple Care, but I hate to take it in. It's my only computer and I don't want to be without it for the week that Apple will probably keep it. If I could self-diagose to solve the problem, that would be great.

Anything you can think of that I might try would be greatly appreciated.

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Try resetting the SMC

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Maybe open up the bottom and clean out any dust or anything inside (without moving anything around... just use one of those compressed air cans).

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Also if neither of these work, try checking activity monitor and making sure nothing in the background is consuming your cpu.