Is my computer still good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ebmonkey2, Oct 17, 2008.

1. ebmonkey2 macrumors newbie

ebmonkey2

This past summer sometime in June I ordered online a 15" macbookpro with 2.5ghz of processing power, 2gb of ddr2 memory, and 200gb serial ata hd, with final cut express. The computer then more then meets my needs, but compared to apples new products and other computers in the industry, is this a nice machine?

2. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Does it do what you need it to do?

If so, then yes it's fine.

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

What a dumb question?!

If it more then meets your needs then whats the problem? Go ahead compare it to the new pros there not that far ahead of what you have now. The 2.53 is pretty much equal.

Yes you have a nice machine. Want more power? Get an imac or mac pro, but if you want OSX an portability with power. This is your option.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As long as it still performs everything you need it to do, then it will remain to be "good." That could be as little as a year, or as long as seven years. It's all about your requirements.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

No, it is completely unusable for anything. It is very slow to run ANY application at all and you won't be able to get ANYTHING done. Now, the latest machines are, like, a thousand thousands times faster.

7. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

Don't give up your machine! According to Apple, you have "super computer".:D

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Completely useless. Send it to me for disposal.

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

This is the negative effect of Apple's marketing... people who can no longer think for themselves.

10. Catonow macrumors regular

Think of it like a car. Every year they come out with a new model. (In the case of Apple computers, it's more like twice a year, but the principle is similar.) If you bought a new car last year and the car company comes out with a new model, do you feel the need to run out and trade in your old one for the new? I think the average person waits at least five years between new cars (probably more, in today's economy). With a computer, most probably wait about three years between new ones. (Maybe faster if they have particular professional needs, like designers and video editors.)

There are some people who do trade in their car every single year for a newer model, however slight the changes. These people are called "filthy rich." Unless you fall into that category, I suggest you hang onto your great, almost-new computer for another year or two, at least.

11. agejon macrumors newbie

You must upgrade... ddr2 instead of ddr3, 800 fsb instead of 1066, 8600M GT instead of 9600M GT, etc.
    You are a pro, you know what you must do... sell it and buy the new one...

12. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

absolutely not...the 2.5 you bought a little while ago is totally useless now and the best thing you could do is write it off, send it to 'Will it blend' and wake up from that utterly senseless thread starting hobby

13. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Sorry, but I beat you to this one :D