Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austin1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Hello, I have a macbook pro. I also hook it up to a 24" screen sometimes. It sits on my desk and my hands lie on the desk. After awhile, my hands or arms hurt from sitting on the desk? What should I do? I've tried to cushion things but they don't work.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Your desk should be at a height such that your forearms, with your wrists on the desk, should be parallel to the floor. Unless you're particularly tall or short, 29" is either just right or a tad bit short (30" is common).

austin1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
My forearms lean on the desk. But either my hand or arm become numb from that.. what should I do?

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
Personal opinion, your arms should not touch the desk. perhaps the heels of your hands. But I don't study ergonomics. Just do what works well for me.
Are you using the macbookpro keyboard? If so, you might consider an external keyboard and mouse.

Take frequent breaks. Change your position occasionally. see if a doctor if problems persist.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
In my opinion seating posture is one of the main reasons of discomfort.

About a year ago I was starting to feel pain very frequently in a line from my elbow to my little finger, especially after long work days. I went to a couple of sessions at a good physiotherapist, which helped me a lot to feel the position I'm sitting in. In my case I was hunching shoulders and generally putting myself in a tense posture in front of the computer. Now everyday I stop at regular intervals and just think a few seconds about my posture, feel what's not right and comfortable, then adjust accordingly... which is generally just relax in my case !

You're right to do ask questions and do something about it, good on you !

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
It all depends on how you sit.. ideally you should aim at being as erect as possible. When I get tired using a desktop PC I just hook up the wireless trackpad which, in addition to the wireless keyboard, lets me lay back comfortably :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.