Is my display supposed to do this when it turns off (video inside)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Mar 8, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I was just troubleshooting a sleep issue as seen in my other thread here on page one and as I slept the computer I noticed the display behave oddly--after the display turns off, I get kind of what looks to be what you would see if you blew your breath on a cold window and the condensation evaporated right away...look at the video:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aarontdenk/4416079437/

The pattern is always the same, sweeping from bottom to top and finishing in the top right of the display.

Neither my IPS 24 inch ACD nor my TN MBA do this. Do I have a defective display?

2. Joerigoesmac macrumors member

Joerigoesmac

i can tell you that its not normal, its best to contact an apple store near you?

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Guess I'll call them tonight to discuss why my laptop absolutely refuses to sleep with the lid open, and then ask if I can email the phone support guy this video and authorize a mail-in repair because I absolutely under no circumstance want to make the five hour journey to the Apple store after having to do it three times for my logic board that I just got back a week ago.

Guess the same holds for computers as for cars--once it's been apart, it will never be the same.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Seriously that's weird. You might need to call the ghost busters too.

Anyways that's definitely not normal and good luck getting it fixed.

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Only problem with this is that to me a display replacement is the absolute worst kind of repair, worse than a logic board because they tear the computer into two separate parts which is a messy repair, and then you have to worry about the new lid lining up perfectly, having proper gaps with the lower half of the laptop when closed, etc.

Not to mention the biggest fear--getting a display that has bad backlight bleed, yellow tint, bad contrast, etc. This is the only issue with the otherwise nearly perfect display--I'm really not sure I want to play the display repair lottery.

6. moel macrumors 6502

I've seen PC laptops do this a fair bit...don't see any reason why it should affect anything else...does look a bit weird though.

7. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Theres nothing to worry about. Its normal, nothing to be worried about, its gonna be the hot air from the computer under the glass, meeting the cold air when the power is turned off..

Everyone here are mac geeks, but obviously didn't pass basic science when they were 16.

8. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Too bad the air in the room is about 73*F, and the computer is well-acclimated seeing as it's been in the room for the last 6 hours. Not to mention the display and the MBA under the same conditions don't do it.

Oh, and I passed basic science, and went on to get an engineering degree.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If you don't have any other problems with the display, don't worry about it. Mine sometimes looks that way, but not as noticeable, and the fade goes evenly from the bottom to top. I can't repeat it right now, though.

10. sth macrumors 6502a

Nothing unusual IMHO. I have seen that effect quite often on different LCD screens.

11. CouldKnowStuff macrumors newbie

That looks to be a serious issue. I would contact Apple and not turn on or off the machine.

I had a friend that had that happen with his, he didnt think andything of it and then one day his screen quit working and the hinge broke! Apple would not replace it because they said he should have reported the issue quicker.

That is not good. :eek:

12. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

...has nothing to do with this, it's just the power shutting off.

It's normal, mine has been doing it for well over a year, don't be concerned.

13. Falch macrumors newbie

Just notced the same effect on my 13" mbp, hmmm, i wonder if it has always been like that, never realy noticed/been looking for it. but it looks kinda wierd.
    have you contacted any form for apple support?

14. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

All four of my MacBook Pro's have done that. (Late 06 though Mid 09) Nothing to be worried about.