Is my drive failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pete1, Jan 26, 2013.

1. pete1 macrumors newbie

Hi y'all

Just wondering if I could get a bit of advice

I have a Macbook Pro early 2011 which came with a 500GB Hitachi drive. I was experiencing poor performance in certain areas of the disk regarding file transfer speed a couple months ago, and after further investigation found that CrystalDiskInfo and HD Tune Pro (under Boot Camp) would report a SMART warning next to current pending sector. A month ago I upgraded to an SSD and put the Hitachi in an external enclosure.

I would still like to use it for data.

Today I spoke to Apple and their reponse was basically that they wouldn't help me until I put the drive back into the Mac (fair enough), but they dismissed my point about SMART errors in Windows, saying that they weren't a reliable indicator of drive health, instead referring me to Apple Disk Utility (which actually gives less information). They told me that I would have to take the Mac to an Apple store and get it assessed.

After getting off the phone, I scanned the drive for bad sectors using Speedtools Utilities Pro and it failed at around the 85% mark. I know it is normal for drives to develop a few bad sectors over time but my concern is that they're not being automatically re-mapped. So I don't feel like I can trust the drive.

Although I would like to have the drive replaced under Applecare I am loathe to spend time without my Mac if all they are going to do is refer to Disk Utility's 'Verified' status. Do I have enough evidence to support a claim for a failing drive? Should I try and get it replaced?

Attached Files:

2. Ploki macrumors 68010

3. pete1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's a 7K500

You're right, it probably would be more economical letting it go and buying a new one. But I'm somewhat attached to the principle that Apple should cover the cost!

4. amit715 macrumors member

time to get rid of it ..i would recommend getting an ssd .

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Then you'll have to put it back in the system and take it to them for diagnosis. It's standard procedure.

6. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

It's a 5400rpm drive. Question for you is whether or not the hassle of putting the drive back in, taking it to an Apple Store, and probably having to be without your computer for a few days worth the $35 value of a new 500Gb 5400rpm drive.

___

7. andyb12 macrumors newbie

i agree, that drive should go they are not that expensive