Is my DSL too slow?

BLINK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I have had DSL for a couple years now and it has always been fairly slow. I live in a fairy good sized town too. When downloading from a website or ANYWHERE, the fastest i've ever gone is 177 kb/sec. Should I call my provider and ask whats the deal? Also, I think to use dsl, we need to go through Earthlink, but we also have AOL accounts. Is this stupid? Do we have 2 internet service providers?

Jeromie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2005
Are you sure that's not 177 kB (kilobytes instead of kilobits, big B instead of little b) per second? That's about the maximum download speed you can get with a 1.5 Mbit/s DSL connection.

As for multiple service providers, I don't think there's any reason you should need AOL (except for AOL specific content) if you have Earthlink DSL.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Stop complaining her in spain i got a 512k connection top dl speed 51kB PER SEC :D The 1mb lin is like 68 euros a month which is ludacris.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
177 sounds about right if you're talking kbyte/s. I have a 2 Mbit/s connection and get up to about 220 kbyte/s.

Patmian212 said:
Stop complaining her in spain i got a 512k connection top dl speed 51kB PER SEC :D The 1mb lin is like 68 euros a month which is ludacris.
Wow, you're lucky! Until a few months ago, the fastest connection you could get in NZ was 256 (unless you wanted to pay per MB) :eek:

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
A kilobyte (kB) is 8 kilobits (kb). A speed of 177kB/s (the speed you see when transferring files) works out to 1.41Mb/s (the speed ISPs often quote for their transfer speeds). Find out what speed your ISP guarantees for the level of service you are paying for.

Also, if Earthlink is providing your DSL, you definitely don't NEED the AOL account. Unless you want to use/keep your AOL mail, or you use some of their member-only content, etc. then you should dump AOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.