Is my entry level imac 21.5 still a good computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonMovieGuy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. JasonMovieGuy macrumors regular

I was so happy when my mother got me the new imac 21.5" computer for Christmas, and also got me Mac home office, Screenwriting software and the extended warranty. She spent a lot of money, and I was not expecting it.

I love my computer, its super-fast and the screen is beautiful. But recently I have been reading a lot of bloggers who claim that the entry level imac is not a good decision to get because the $1499 model has better graphics (I can't tell the difference, mine look great), and more GB (1T vs 500Gb), and I guess a better processor? They're claiming that in the future with all the software updates, the entry level imac won't be a efficient. I'm so upset now because I love this computer and now I'm hearing all these people saying I should have gotten the higher end model. On top of this, many also say the 27" is the one to get since you get a gigantic screen. I think the 21.5 screen is more then big.

Any advice? Should I call apple and trade them for the higher end model and spend the extra $300? Or is the model I have fine?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Stop listening to everyone and enjoy your computer
    It is a great machine

There will always be something bigger, better, faster
    And besides, a new model is always around the corner ;)
    And have you read the complaints about the 27"?

Be grateful, kiss your mom and say "thanks" and enjoy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

It's a great computer and like MacDawg says, there will always be something bigger and faster. You won't have software issues for years. People with Macbooks 2 years old putting Snow Leopard on them w/o problems.

Not to be mean, but you got something given to you. I can't stand people who have stuff given to them and just because it's not the top of the line, they complain.

4. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Agree with this 100% I've got a 2 year old Macbook. It has snow leopard installed. Runs like new. Enjoy the 21.5. It's a great machine.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

oh please, your imac is an awesome machine. I have a 20" 2008 imac and I'm still impressed by its speed, looks, quietness, and stability on a daily basis.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'm still impressed with my daughter's white 17" iMac and that's nearly 3 years old.

7. JasonMovieGuy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

Thanks to all that responded. I am keeping it. I just wanted more insight. And to the one poster who said I should be grateful- believe me, I am.

8. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

There you go, the computer is good.

9. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

Good advice and congratulations. I'm still quite happy with my 2007 20", still more computer than I know what to do with. Enjoy!

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Is this computer for you or for the bloggers you are reading from? It all depends on what your needs are and what you do with your computer which is why there isn't just one computer choice for everyone. Unless you are a hardcore gamer, etc then this computer will work for you fine. It sounds like you are happy with your computer so why bother listening to what other people are saying? If I said that walking 10 miles to school everyday is the best way to get to school...would you do it?

I also have a 6 year old PowerBook that can still be used for general tasks and for people like my Dad it is perfectly fine. You can't really future proof a computer so don't worry about what your computer can do in the future. Unless this is the last computer you will ever own then you will get another one in a few years. Don't get so caught up in trying to get the perfect computer because there really isn't one. If you are happy with it then enjoy it and probably read less bloggers. ;)

11. Dino1956 macrumors member

You have the exact iMac I got for Christmas. Best computer I ever used. You got a great Mom!

12. sharkync macrumors regular

That is a fabulous computer. Anyone who says otherwise is either a fool or jealous. Enjoy your beautiful Mac.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Stop right there.
    If it was good enough for you before you heard the locker-room like comparison smack talk and subsequent feelings of inadequacy, it's good enough now.

14. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I had a similar self control problem when I started getting Apple products. Lets talk about notebooks or computers by Apple. Other manufacturers, when pgrading the specs or design, change also the model number/name, series, etc. That way your model stays always top of it's class, even though other laptops have come out which are more modern.
    Apple doesn't adhere though. When they upgrade, they trash the older models and replace them in place of the others, creating the effect that your mac is always out of date. The same applies to iPods, iPhones, etc.

Your mac is an incredible computer. Enjoy it :) Maybe we can have this conversation in 3 or 4 years. Oh, and treat your mac well - they have great resale value.

15. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Why are you basing your opinion on what others say? How do you feel about your new iMac? Does it meet your needs? Sounds like it does :D

It's a great Mac and 500GB is a lot of space; don't worry.

Habitus :apple:

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

For one, you received it as a present. You say you are grateful, which is great. I have never received such an expensive present like that.

As for it being a good computer, absolutely. I would bet my money it would run Adobe CS4 suite just fine, run a dual boot fine, etc. Unless you are doing heavy heavy video editing (rendering files in AE, etc), your computer will provide years of worth! I have a 15" 2.5GHZ MBP and it flies. I have had it since 10/08. I upped the ram to 4GB, bought AppleCare and installed a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive and it is brand new:) . I should get another 3 years at least out of it.

17. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Your Mom bought you a 1200 dollar machine and you are wondering if it is good enough? :confused:

I never got a present like that from either of my parents. Consider yourself lucky. You got a great Mom. Even though the entry level imac is entry level, the specs are certainly not.

Check out the prices of a Lenovo A600 decked out, or a HP Touchsmart and see if specs match up to your "entry level Imac". Your imac is faster with a HD widescreen to boot.

Don't listen to everyone and everybody. If you like your machine that is all that matters.

18. Dust and Diesel macrumors newbie

Your computer was a great gift.From what I have been reading about the entry level mac is that it is much better to have the nvidia card at this time compared to the ati card.From what i have seeing in forums Apple should have just stayed with Nvidia. As consumers,we are burden with way to much choice.Your mother made a great choice in doing what she did for you.Enjoy!

19. bobriot macrumors member

My parents have one and it doesn't miss a beat, great machine on 24/7 solid as a rock.

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In some ways your 21.5 inch iMac is better than my older 24 inch Core 2 Duo iMac. I've upgraded mine to a 1TB HDD and 4GB of RAM, and it has served me very well. Yours will serve you well too. :)