Is my exercise log correct??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dazzathedrummer, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Dazzathedrummer macrumors newbie

Dazzathedrummer

Hi,

I've been using my Apple Watch to track my stats while playing drums.

Over the course of eight hours between getting out of the car at a gig venue to getting back into the car after the gig, the watch is stating that I've burnt three thousand calories.

Is this based on heart-rate?

I'm just wondering about the accuracy as, if the reading is movement based (like a pedometer), then perhaps the watch is being fooled by my wrist/arm movements during the gig.

Does anybody know if the readings are accurate in my case?

2. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Hello fellow drummer. Your snare side hand movement does trigger the step count. Your stats are not even close to be accurate. Wearing the watch for these stats does not work for drummer I assume.

3. Dazzathedrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Dazzathedrummer

I’m left-handed so it’s even worse, the watch is on my hi hat side!

I read a bit more about this and it does seem that I would be getting false readings - Apple recommend using a separate, chest mounted, Bluetooth heart monitor and configure the watch/phone to take readings from that.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The main problem is not HR but the accelerometer/gyroscope movements. The amount and variation of hand movement is fooling the watch's algorithm's. They were not written to cover drumming.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Here's what I would do. When you start your show, start an "other" workout. I don't think the "other" workout relies on the accelerometer as much as the HR.

You should be getting decent calorie burn while drumming, but not 3k worth.