Is my external HDD starting to die?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alpha-Sphere, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Alpha-Sphere macrumors newbie

Alpha-Sphere

I've bought an external HDD from Western digital two months ago and i'm having some problems, i think, with it. It's being used as a media HDD for my parents that is hooked up to an AC Ryan Playon HD media player.

The problem i'm having is that the content of some folders where invisible all of a sudden. Invisible on my mac and on the media player. There still there cause if I try to copy the same file over it gives me this error:

""

If I cmd+i the folder it says zero kb.
    If I try to delete the folder it starts deleting but then it kinda hangs. Can't stop it neither.

So I formatted the drive again and started from scratch. It worked great for about 5 to 6 weeks and now it's giving me the same problems. I've made a new folder with some content and when I hooked it up on the media player there was nothing there. Hooked it back up to my mac and there was nothing in the folder. Same as before.

BTW it's a NTFS formated disk and i'm using MacFuse to read/write it.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Oh BTW, i've worked with many many NTFS drives before and still do but none of them had this problem before.

I'm thinking about returning the HDD for a new one.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Sounds like it might be starting to go. Does it get very warm or make buzzing noises? If you can't return it to the store, you should be able to do an Advance RMA from WD. Pay for the replacement, they ship you the replacement, buy a UPS label, ship the broken one back, they refund the replacement price. (You're only out $5 for the UPS label).