Is My first website good ?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by marold280, May 21, 2009.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Hey all. Me and a friend (both of us 16) have designed our first website. its just basics. but its about our comedy podcast and videos and general stuff:)
    please could you go and have a look around ?

would you say its good for a 16 year old ?
    sorry my macbook crashed. ran out of battery!!
    www.vouse.co.uk

Thanks!!

2. dbell macrumors member

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it is an unpleasant-looking graphic and at first glance I have no idea what your site is about. This in turn leads me to immediately move on to the next site I am going to browse through, never to return. The banner text comes too close to the edges of the main content area, but I'd say you just need to start over.

4. jsyingling macrumors newbie

Wow, guys. Cruelty.

Marold, you're website is in no way well-designed. It is however, functional. If this is just for your friend and you to mix it up on the Internet and have your own little space, I'd grade it perfect. Nothing wrong at all. Remember, everyone has to start somewhere.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, it's a website. Great. It has a single [huge] hyperlinked image that links to an About page, but you'd never guess where it's going if you didn't have a status bar at the bottom of your browser. So other than it being a website that does that, what does "functional" even mean in this context? It provides just about zero information, what incentive do I have to investigate any further?

6. jdesign macrumors member

I'd say good job for a first website. Did you design it first or gone straight to the coding? if not consider designing it first in eg. photoshop , the reason i'm saying this is the site is looking very boxy. Keep doing it and i'm sure in a year you'll improve a lot. :)

7. LeviG macrumors 65816

In my view -
    its great that it all appears to work
    it's not the most aesthetically pleasing site I've ever seen
    too many little niggles for me too (different size 'pages', silly coloured borders etc)
    and I don't like the initial home page, its redundant and isn't needed

but like said if its just for a place for you and some friends to have some fun online then its fine, we all had to start somewhere and you'll get better as you go along

8. whatsgooddan macrumors member

well

I mean it IS a comedy site right? You are getting a few more laughs with the design.

Nobody expects a brilliant web page from a couple of young comedians. For now this is fine. When you get more popular, think about doing a version 2.0 of the site. If you have any kind of fan base, perhaps you can find some way to bring them together on the site. Even if it is just using a guestbook or some other comment-type feature.

I am glad your blog link didn't take me to a wordpress blog. I've never understood why people who do their whole site originally, decide to shove a full wordpress installation in there trying to cover up all the loose layout differences with css.

9. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

PROS: For being your first you did a pretty good job, loose the welcome screen though.

CONS: You could use some more color, if its suppose to represent you and whoever it makes you guys look pretty lame. Maybe use your welcome screen graphic as inspiration.

Try using lightbox or (my favorite) fullsize for your gallery, I hate leaving a site just to view an image.

RATING: 7.5/10 considering it's your first.

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

As a web designer and graphic designer here, I think your first try was more than okay. The home page was funky and fun. The linked page afterwards was somewhat of a let down.

Some of your english needs correcting however.

The pages work which is what you want, but a little more work on the pages in navigation would help your site even more.

Good luck with it mate.