Is my G4 LCD display brooken??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bototucuxi, Jun 3, 2009.

1. bototucuxi macrumors newbie

Hi, I need your help,

Recently my baby son brooke the left hinge of my powerbook G4 titanium model A1025. I bought a new hinge and glued it sucessfully with ARALDITE epoxy glue and the display was 100%, however every two months the glue would break and i need always to be gluing it again and again.

I then decided to used JB Weld glue and it was perfect to glue the hinge to the display housing however when i turned on the powerbook there were a lot of paralell lines in the botton of display and a black medium spot and now i am able to see only 75% of the usable display... is it broken? Or is it with too much strength? I can see that the case is a bit bent in a little arc.. the thing is that i cant break the glue.. too strong..

The interesting thing is that when taking a snapshot to post here from the desktop the image i get is without the lines i see from the LCD.. i quite dont understand thais. The image I get is clear without any lines...

If you think is broken how can i get a new complete cheap display to my powerbook?

What are the alternatives?

Thanks. Antonio

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Yeah, sounds like your screen is broken. The reason it isn't showing up in screenshots is because the screenshot is capturing what is being outputted by the video card - which is fine. Displaying that on a broken screen is what's causing the lines.

EDIT: To answer your last question, replacing the screen is going to cost you more than the computer is worth. Either connect it to an external display or spring for a new Mac. Sorry.

3. bototucuxi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, another update,... I have tryed to bent it a litle and seems that some of the lines go away... As i told the lcd case is bent because it was glued wrongly for sure. ..

4. bototucuxi thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT: To answer your last question, replacing the screen is going to cost you more than the computer is worth. Either connect it to an external display or spring for a new Mac. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

I found out on Ebay displays with entire casing for about $100. That it isnt to much money.. what i dont know is how to replace the hole LCD and casing with hinges...

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sounds more like you crimped, cut or otherwise damaged the display video cable. You can get a replacement on iFixit.com for about $50. Or at least look at iFixit to find the Apple part number of the cable and search for a cheaper price using the part number.

6. bototucuxi thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont realy know if this a screen problem or a video problem... everyday the usable view area gets fewer... please see the photos to see if you can check what the problem is.

Please let me know urgently!!

and a solution also.

Tony

Attached Files:

7. bototucuxi thread starter macrumors newbie

Please Help... Its Urgent Because Its My Work Notebook..

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Do you have the hardware diagnostics CD?

Since you say it keeps getting worse I would assume the GPU is failing based on the pictures. Repair would require replacing the motherboard. In which case you would be better off eBaying the computer for parts, which can recover a pretty decent value. Then purchase either a used Powerbook or Macbook off eBay if price is a concern, otherwise buy new.

This is a work laptop. So is it better to spend weeks futzing with it losing out productivity or just to get it replaced?

9. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

The LCD is cracked. See how part of it works fine and another is messed up? Besides the lines. That happens on cracked LCD's too.

Close the screen and wake it up with an external keyboard/mouse/monitor attached and it should work fine on the external monitor. This will not fix the built in screen.

NOTE: about the Ti PB screens: there were two models. You need the 1152x768 screen if you have a VGA port on the back. If you have the DVI port on the back you need the 1280*854 screen.

DVI:
    [​IMG]

VGA:
    [​IMG]