IS my Gmail pushing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBJammin103, Aug 1, 2008.

1. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

Well, right now I'm using my Macbook with my iPhone in my pocket. A couple of minutes ago (10:52 or so, my time), my Mail.app received an e-mail on my Gmail IMAP account that was marked 10:51 A.M., but what caught my attention was that my iPhone got it at the exact same time.

Now, I was under the impression that Gmail IMAP had no sort of push features, and that the iPhone definitely didn't support it even if Google did. I'm pretty sure that both my iPhone, which is set for 15-minute fetching, and my Macbook, set for 5-minute fetching, wouldn't have just happened to coincidentally poll my Gmail inbox at 10:52 and receive and e-mail that was sent less than a minute before.

This is not the first time I've noticed this, but it's the first time I've sat down and checked all the times and coincidences together.

Is it possible at all that Google is pushing my e-mail?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it might have been that the mail came right before the phone checked again. you have about a 6-7% chance of getting an email on your phone right when the sender emails it. i wish they had push but they don't. also, why don't you keep your macbook mail.app to check every minute? just wondering.

3. CBJammin103 thread starter macrumors regular

CBJammin103

I was assuming that it would impact battery life the more often it checked for mail, and the 5x difference between 1 minute and 5 minutes seemed like it would be significant. But 5 minutes is still quick enough for me, personally, if using my Macbook.

Also, another question: doesn't Gmail supposedly support the IDLE command? And doesn't Mail.app also? So shouldn't my Gmail ALWAYS push to my Macbook? It definitely doesn't do it all the time, but it seems like sometimes it does. Maybe Apple or Google's implementation of IDLE on IMAP just isn't great yet...? always

4. imho macrumors newbie

Well, don't expect Blackberry's level of email performance and battery life for that matter... That's probably not a strong pt for iphones right now...

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

iPhone should have a business mode, which the phone will only operate for email and phone calls.

6. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

That would be pointless. IMO

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Why would that be pointless?

8. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

What would you need to turn off? The only things that can run in the background are the Apple apps SMS, Phone, and Mail are all used in business. There is no point in turning everything off. Again this is just my opinion.

9. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

That's what I am saying. Business mode would only require email and phone, this would shut down any background process that has nothing to do with the two basic functions. This could extend battery life and makes more sense for business usage.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Your gmail probably isnt pushing, if you had recently had the mail app open, the connection might still have been active and therefore recieved the email as the gmail inbox got it.

probably

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Gmail does have IMAP IDLE push (which mail.app 3.4 supports but the iPhone doesn't). I get my gmail immediately on my desktop but not on my iPhone.