Is my GPU failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baseballduck, Aug 8, 2008.

1. baseballduck macrumors newbie

Yes, it is another one of those threads. I have had my MacBook Pro 8 days and I am now noticing random white patches in YouTube videos as well as corrupted looking web pages. Is this a sign of a GPU failure? If it is would it be easier to send it to Apple or try for a Best Buy exchange? It's a 2.4 with a 8600 GT.

Thank You,
    Tyler

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

My MBP does this too. Reset your system and it should be fine for several more hours. I suppose that if the system is on for too long it gets tired.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I would not accept that from a computer that cost this much.

4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's probably a sign of failure. I would wait until they update the Macbook Pros before getting one. Hopefully they'll go back to ATI cards after the Nvidia crisis. :eek:

Besides, ATI is better with core image anyway. I wonder if they're going to do a recall on the Macbook Pros that are affected? I mean, Nvidia has already acknowledged the problem and defects...So it would be bad on Apple's part not to replace whatever's been affected.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You should return it and wait a few weeks (or less) for a faster, probably redesigned Montevina MBP with a better 9-series video card.

6. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

sounds like gpu.... those things your seeing are artefacts. usually due to the chip not being able to handle the heat, which is one of the side effects of the defect supposedly present in the substrate used to make all the 8600 chips.

7. baseballduck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems to be running fine now as I only noticed the problem after running F@H and it got quite hot. Needless to say I won't be running F@H on this any longer as I do not want to damage anything. I think I'll give it some time and see what happens because the screen has no dead or stuck pixels and everything just seems to be perfect. If the problem persists I will probably just send it off to Apple to get it repaired.

Tyler