Is my GPU failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dietzg, Jan 9, 2010.

1. dietzg macrumors newbie

I posted this in the huge thread about the NVIDIA graphics cards but I'm making this thread because I'm afraid my post will be lost in all the posts about the issue.

I bought my 15" MBP in late June of 2007. Recently I've noticed that the computer has been running extremely hot, even when just playing a simple youtube video or anything else flash related.

The other day I was playing the Sims 2 in Windows through Bootcamp and the graphics became distorted and garbled. I had to hold down the power button until the computer shut off because it was impossible to see or do anything. This has happened a few other times while paying the game.

I have had some waking issues where the screen will not come back on after the mac has been asleep. The only way to fix this is to hold down the power button and wait for it to fully turn off, then reboot.

My MBP is at the Apple Store now getting a new lcd screen (dust behind the glass) so I'm unable to check and see what graphics card my notebook has, but do these issues seem on par with a GPU failing?

Should I call Apple and ask for a repair once I get my MBP back? Or should I push for a replacement of the entire machine?

Thanks for your help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems a likely candidate. Apple will replace the GPU for free if it's the 8600 series.

3. dietzg thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need to wait for my GPU to fully die or will they replace it now even though it seems to still be working?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know. If you describe the symptoms- or better yet can demonstrate them- they'll probably replace it immediately. The issues with the 8600 should be well known to the tech, though, so you might be able to just tell them about it and have them replace it.