Is my Graphics card dying on me?

danakm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
My mid-2009 MBP has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB and after all the horror stories I've heard, I just don't trust NVIDIA anymore, so I have to ask...

I've started seeing this happen:

EDIT: Link in case that doesn't show (it shows for me *shrug*)

Not all the time, but definitely with some frequency, so: Do I need to start freaking out about my graphics card dying on me?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Cache, maybe? It works for me :confused: Added a link, anyway :(
Still page not found.
Just use the ATTACHMENT button (
), as shown in the guide I linked to.

For images wider than 800 pixel, please use the TIMG tags instead of the IMG tags by just adding a T in front of the [IMG] and closing [/IMG] tag, like [img] and [/img] to prevent horizontal scrolling.
You can use the
to edit your images and add the Ts.

----------

i can see the pic ... ;)

this looks scary ... i have a mid 2009 too :eek:
Strange. I try another browser then.

Okay, could see it in Firefox 11.

As the screenshot catches the artifacts, it is not the hardware, but a software problem (drivers, corrupted kext, ...).
Does it stay even after restarting the Mac?

danakm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
As the screenshot catches the artifacts, it is not the hardware, but a software problem (drivers, corrupted kext, ...).
Does it stay even after restarting the Mac?
It stayed after a restart only once (when I took that screenshot) that I noticed, so far.

Two other times it happened when Lion (I hadn't upgraded then) tried to restore a Chrome window. Not exactly the same but in the same general area :confused:

And just now it happened when the computer went to screen saver...

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If the original photo was a screenshot, then it shouldn't be a hardware problem. Try creating a new user account and use that for a bit to see if the glitch shows up.

danakm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
If the original photo was a screenshot, then it shouldn't be a hardware problem. Try creating a new user account and use that for a bit to see if the glitch shows up.
I agree that it's not a hardware problem. that first screenshot appears to affect only images and not random areas.
Well, I certainly hope you guys are right because I plan on juicing this computer for at least another year, so yeah. Graphics card issues are scarily expensive when out of warranty :(

I'll try the new user :)