Is my graphics card on it's way out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ry4n525, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ry4n525 macrumors newbie

I've recently been having issues with what seems to be my graphics card. My late 2006 model Macbook Pro with ATI Radeon 1600 graphics chip seems to have this weird issue whenever it starts getting warm. I'll get funky colored thin lines that will appear at random places on the main screen. This does not happen on external displays and I'm not certain this is a display problem. I've attached a picture of what it looks like when I do have them problem. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. broad macrumors member

if it doesnt happen on an external screen its most likely not the gpu

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

take a screen shot, and if you can see the lines in the image, then it's the graphics card. Otherwise it's more likely the screen, although I'm not sure why that would happen just because it gets warm.

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Those are the same kind of lines I had on mine before it went to Apple to get a new logic board.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If it's a line of bad pixels, then it's the screen. Probably a damaged connection detaching when it gets too hot. Perhaps it's time for an upgrade??? :p

6. ry4n525 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not so sure about it being one damaged line of pixels. This line will appear all over the screen from top to bottom randomly. I have yet to have the line appear today in order to take a screenshot to see if it appears there but it is time for an upgrade. I'm just trying to figure out how much time I have left before it inevitably fails on me.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I would suggest just taking a picture and screenshot of the desktop, because that thumbnail you have in your OP is very confusing.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I would honestly at this point use that as an accuse for your self so you can treat your self to a new custom MBP :D:apple:

9. ry4n525 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will take a screen shot later today when I have access to my computer. I do agree that this is the perfect excuse for a new Mac! I think I'm going to get a new 27" i7 iMac when they have the refresh this year around March. Hopefully with the speculation of improved screen resolutions and better displays I'll get one that doesn't have the current problems in the existing line.

10. ry4n525 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to bump this along, I took a screenshot and the line is there. Hurray!

Attached Files:

• line.jpg
      line.jpg
      File size:
      293.9 KB
      Views:
  11. goMac macrumors 603

If the line is there in the screenshot, it's likely a GPU fault.

Time for a new machine, likely. It wouldn't be worth the cost to fix this guy (given that this is, at the very least, going to be a logic board replacement.)

12. ry4n525 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that, the logic board probably costs more than the machine is worth. I think I'm going to open the machine up today and clean it out. Perhaps I'll reapply the thermal paste to the GPU and CPU. I'm not sure which paste I used the last time I cleaned it out, but I have a feeling it wasn't the better of the two pastes I have. Either way, if it keeps the machine cool until the next iMac refresh, I'll be happy. Thanks to everyone for their insight.