Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elephant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
London, UK
I have a MacBook Pro from January/February 2008, the old design, 2,2GHZ C2D, 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600M GT one, and I'm having some problems.

At least I think I'm having some problems.

The problems are that I don't get any 3D game to behave somewhat smooth. In full screen video the video gets choppy from time to time.

About my computer and setup: I've upgraded to 4GB memory, and I put a WD 320GB drive in it. I use a 23" HP display as a main display (the MBP is always closed, so the 23" is the only active display).

I've tried playing The Sims 3, Football Manager 2009, EVE Online and a couple of other games. Sims 3 doesn't even get smooth in its lowest graphic settings, but I guess it's a new game and all. Football Manager 2009 only works if I use the lowest graphic settings. EVE Online is ok, but the old graphics aren't really demanding...it's basically just empty space, lighting effects (as soon as they kick in it starts getting choppy) and ship/asteroid textures.

My question is how it works for anyone else that has a similar MBP (early 2008). Are you able to play games? I've reached a point where I just don't bother anymore.

By the way, as I'm writing this my GPU temperature is 80 degrees celsius. I only have Safari 4, Transmission and Mail running. Something doesn't feel right.

Any ideas? Some benchmark tests I can do for Mac?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe if were having issues with the GPU, you'd start seeing artifacts on the screen or an inability to see the screen. Im not sure sure a bad GPU would exhibit itself in poor performance.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
I have a MacBook Pro from January/February 2008, the old design, 2,2GHZ C2D, 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600M GT one, and I'm having some problems.

The problems are that I don't get any 3D game to behave somewhat smooth. In full screen video the video gets choppy from time to time.

About my computer and setup: I've upgraded to 4GB memory, and I put a WD 320GB drive in it. I use a 23" HP display as a main display (the MBP is always closed, so the 23" is the only active display).

I've tried playing The Sims 3, Football Manager 2009, EVE Online and a couple of other games. Sims 3 doesn't even get smooth in its lowest graphic settings, but I guess it's a new game and all. Football Manager 2009 only works if I use the lowest graphic settings. EVE Online is ok, but the old graphics aren't really demanding...it's basically just empty space, lighting effects (as soon as they kick in it starts getting choppy) and ship/asteroid textures.

My question is how it works for anyone else that has a similar MBP (early 2008). Are you able to play games? I've reached a point where I just don't bother anymore.

By the way, as I'm writing this my GPU temperature is 80 degrees celsius. I only have Safari 4, Transmission and Mail running. Something doesn't feel right.

Could be because you keep the screen down and block the vents? My Dell 6400 died that way, I always kept it on my bed and sometimes it would be covered + I would come home to a computer that felt like it was going to blow up. Then the graphics and rendering speed or whatever just started getting worse and worse.

elephant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
London, UK
Could be because you keep the screen down and block the vents? My Dell 6400 died that way, I always kept it on my bed and sometimes it would be covered + I would come home to a computer that felt like it was going to blow up. Then the graphics and rendering speed or whatever just started getting worse and worse.
Well I've actually tried having the lid closed and open, and it doesn't affect any temperatures. The vents are on the back of the MBP.

elephant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
London, UK
I believe if were having issues with the GPU, you'd start seeing artifacts on the screen or an inability to see the screen. Im not sure sure a bad GPU would exhibit itself in poor performance.
I'm thinking that maybe my GPU is getting so hot that it affects the performance of it?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'm thinking that maybe my GPU is getting so hot that it affects the performance of it?

80C is normal when gaming on the 2.2GHz (I do it alot)

The games I have played is WoW and Age Of Conan and both runs pretty well (havent played AoC for half a year tho).
I'm gaming on a 22-inch display.

If you are gaming in windows, be sure to use modified drivers, since the apple ones blows!

Also, you have quite some free HD space?

elephant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
London, UK
80C is normal when gaming on the 2.2GHz (I do it alot)

The games I have played is WoW and Age Of Conan and both runs pretty well (havent played AoC for half a year tho).
I'm gaming on a 22-inch display.

If you are gaming in windows, be sure to use modified drivers, since the apple ones blows!

Also, you have quite some free HD space?
80C is for idling. I'm currently playing Sims 3 at the lowest graphic settings, in 1024x768 windowed mode...and my temperatures are:

CPU A: 77-80C
GPU Diode: 87-90C
GPU Heatsink: 71-74C

Are those normal temperatures? I currently have the lid open.

Not running Windows, just OS X stuff.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

Two questions:
1) How does the computer perform during other tasks?... CPU intensive tasks.
2)Are you sure the memory is ok?

Once you answer those two questions it has to be the graphics card.

My 2 cents: it's the memory.

elephant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
London, UK
Two questions:
1) How does the computer perform during other tasks?... CPU intensive tasks.
2)Are you sure the memory is ok?

Once you answer those two questions it has to be the graphics card.

My 2 cents: it's the memory.
I do some heavy music production stuff and it works absolutely fine during stuff like that. It's when facing any 3D stuff or full screen video that the Mac starts acting as if it can't handle the pressure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.