Is my hard drive cooked?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by camster1964, Apr 16, 2010.

1. camster1964 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook about 4 years old that suddenly started making a clicking sound when I start up and I get the flashing folder with ?.

I restarted with the OSX system disc but when I get to the step to select a destination volume, there is no volume listed.

I also tried restarting holding down the D key to run a hardware test as per the manual but just the Install screen comes up as above.

I also tried running the disk utility by selecting my drive (4.7GB-HL-DT-ST-DVDR). I tried running Verify Disk Permisions but get a "Error:No Valid Packages). I also tried Erase and Partition but the Volume Format "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" is greyed out. Same with Partition.

So I'm just wondering maybe my HD is toast? or is there further tests, recovery options I can try. Any help would be eternally grateful.

Thanks
    Camster

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

4.7GB-HL-DT-ST-DVDR is your dvd drive, so if that is the only drive in disk utility, your hdd is probably dead

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Clicking = dead.

Flashing question mark means no boot up found.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I hate that clicking noise. I have heard it many times over the years and it's never a good thing. Sometimes putting the drive in a plastic bag and freezing the drive for a while will allow it to boot up one more time to get your important stuff off.

5. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

Freezing a hdd to get data of it? never heard of that

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

8. rtmadden macrumors regular

Poor prognosis. Are you going to need to try and recover data or do you backup regularly?

9. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sounds like a dead HDD. Although it might be worth it to check out the suggestion above about potentially getting it replaced.