Is my Hard drive dying!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coolwine, Dec 21, 2009.

1. coolwine macrumors newbie

Hello, first off let me start out with some background info, In July i ordered the new 15" macbook pro, 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, 500 gb 7200rpm hard drive. everything ran great until early september when my computer got really laggy and i kept getting the spinning beach ball so i restarted and it would not get past the grey apple loading screen. Using disk utilities it said that it could not repair the HD and there was an "invalid node structure". Luckily i back up religiously so i just reformatted and reinstalled the os. Since then the exact same thing has been happening on a more frequent basis (i only got 2 days use last time i reformatted). Since this all happened i have had it crash and had to reboot like 7 times. When i ran the apple hardware check everything checked out fine. Now that i am on winter break i can afford to be without it for awhile, is this a sign of the HD dying? Thanks!:)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's what it sounds like to me. If that's the case, Apple should replace it under warranty.

Good work on the backups, by the way. :)

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Sounds exactly like the symptoms I experienced when the HD in my mid-2007 24" iMac crashed. But in my case the system eventually locked up completely and became entirely unusable.

As mentioned above, if purchased in July it's still well under the limited warranty so send it in to Apple for replacement.