is my hard drive dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by designingdani, Aug 21, 2010.

1. designingdani macrumors newbie

i have a 17" mbp that's about 4 years old. lately it's been running slow and the fans have been working hard. there is plenty of free space on the hard drive so that's not an issue. the logic board was replaced last year. yesterday i got a blue screen when it started up. it went away eventually, but it sure scared the hell out of me. hard drive s.m.a.r.t. status is verified and i don't hear any loud clicks. i am backing everything up now, but should i be worried?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lockups and kernal panics can be caused by lots of things. With your HD being 4 years old and depending on how well you took care of it (was it used alot outdoors or on a desk most of the time), it might start to go soon and it's a good opprotunity to pick up an SSD or a faster HD.

Your ram or video card could be going to.

If you have the original disks included with the machine, run the Apple hardware test to get better idea of your systems health.

3. designingdani thread starter macrumors newbie

when i can find the original discs i'll run that test. i'm a designer and i take it back and forth to the office everyday. it's also my home computer so as soon as i get home my husband is on it. we've run it pretty hard.

4. oplix Suspended

oplix

As long as smart status is verified you are ok