Is my hard drive failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Sep 29, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

My MacBook Pro (see sig for specs) has been very sluggish since yesterday. When it first froze yesterday (around 9:00 AM), I just shrugged it off, and rebooted. It didn't freeze again until this afternoon (around 4:00 PM). It just froze again a few minutes ago. This hard drive is not an original part. It is the bare drive that I grabbed from an external drive (was purchased just for this purpose, was not used until was put in my MBP). I have used the drive around 8-12 hours per day since late April, early May. I have been yearning for a seagate Momentus XT, and I am thinking that this may be the time to buy. But before I buy, I am looking for someone to tell me if my drive is failing. Also, my parents likely will not let me get a new hard drive for about a month or so. But if/when my drive is actually dead/dies, they will likely allow me to order a Momentus XT. Also, I have a backup of my hard drive, so I am not worried about data loss.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is it a bootable backup? You could try booting off that and running for a few minutes to see if you have similar issues. If you don't, odds are the drive is failing.

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It, unfortunately is not. I do not feel like risking my data, to erase the time machine drive, to clone the internal drive to (to use as a bootable backup). Also, if it helps, the drive that I used is a seagate freeagent go. It was originally in my old white MacBook. The drive was used in that machine for about 6-8 months. With the roughly 12-14 months that this drive has been in use, it seems to me that the drive is failing.

4. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am really in dire need of help. I need to know whether or not my drive is failing. I would like to get a new drive (preferably a momentus xt), but do not want any downtime, so I need to get a new drive if it is failing. My parents will likely allow me to get a new drive if I/you can prove that it is failing. Also, I forgot to mention in the first post that the drive is not quiet, like it used to be. It is now somewhat noisy, but not unbearable. The drive itself, is a Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM 320GB drive.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it's making noise, especially clicking, it is quite likely that it is failing. With its age, it shouldn't be, but those are signs of a failing drive. Unfortunately, I can't "prove" it unless it actually fails, at which point you would have very likely deduced that yourself.

6. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have convinced my parents to allow me to get a new drive. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me get the Momentus XT, as I had planned. They allowed me to get a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 7200RPM drive with 500GB of storage and 16mb cache.. It should come from newegg by Wednesday next week :D .