Is my hard drive fried?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gretschdrummer, May 25, 2012.

1. gretschdrummer macrumors member

I recently got an old 80GB Macbook 1,1. Up to last night I had no serious problems with it. I was browsing the web, and all of the sudden it got very slow. My computer froze, and I couldn't force quit or log off or anything, so I had to manually restart. When I booted it up, all I got was a plain white screen which always happens now when I boot (w/out CD). I tried all of these:

-Reset SMC and PRAM
    -Unplug battery for 30 seconds
    -Hold down option key
    -Hold down shift key

and none of those worked. I then put my OS X installation disc in. I reset and held C for about ten minutes then the Apple logo showed up and opened the installer. I tried Disk Utility, but I can't format/repair/erase/verify the hard drive due to error "The underlying task reported failure on exit."

I try to install the OS X on my computer, but there is no destination to select (my hard drive is missing). It's also missing from the Startup Disk menu.

So is my hard drive fried? Anything else left to do? I read somewhere online that said all I had to do was open the mac and unplug and replug the hard drive for it to work.

Thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. harddrivefailur macrumors newbie

If you are looking to get the data back on your hard drive, I would try pulling it out of the laptop and connecting it to a regular SATA to USB enclosure.

Using another system, you may be able to access and copy all the files from that drive if it turns out that you don't have a physical hard disk failure.

This also depends on whether or not the drive is making a clicking noises or not. This could just be a motherboard issue on the laptop, but it's really hard to say.