Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhcp1253

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I have recently been having trouble with my iMac's (screenshot 1) Hard Drive. It has been making loud noises (louder than usual) and I tryed to Partition it and it failed. I tried running disk utility on it but it displays this message (screenshot 2). Is my Hard Drive seeing the light?

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 60

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
The click of death is a good indicator of, well, its in the name lol.

I think apples website has a free app to check/test the hard drives S.M.A.R.T. info. Would be a good idea to run a complete test to see if any errors come up.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
It could just be corruption on the disk and not necessaraily a physical failure, but it could be a sign of a physical failure in the future. In in of itself without further evidence to back it up, I would say no that is not enough to prove the drive is on its last legs.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Firstly have you got a backup? if not do it straight away.

Then boot of your os x dvd and attempt the repair there. Doesn't look like your hard disk is dying it is possibly file system errors.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE: Is My Hard Drive On Its Last Legs?

It _might_ be a hardware issue.

Then again, it might be only a case of badly corrupted system files.

Do you keep a backup drive?

If not, better think about getting one RIGHT AWAY, if you value any of the data on your internal drive.

Here's what I'd suggest:
1. Get a backup drive (If you have both firewire and USB, get an external drive that has BOTH types of connectors).

2. Download "SuperDuper" from here:
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

SuperDuper will let you do a full "safety clone" of the internal to the external without having to pay the shareware fee.

3. Clone the contents of your internal drive to the external. You should end up with a bootable "full duplicate" of what's on your internal.

4. Boot from the external, and use DiskUtility to work on the internal drive.

5. You might _try_ to repair it first using DU's "repair" button. That may or may not work. You might need to run it multiple times to get everything fixed.

6. If that doesn't seem to be working, use DU to re-initialize the internal. Does it seem to re-initialize OK? Can you run the "repair" function on the [empty] re-initialized drive, and have it come up "clean" each time? If that's the case, it could be that the problems you were experiencing were software (not hardware) related.

7. You can now use SuperDuper to "restore" the internal drive. Just "set it up in reverse" so that dupes the contents of the external drive back to the internal.

IMPORTANT:
This assumes that when you copy everything to the new external drive, that it is in fact bootable with a good copy of OS X on it. If there's something wrong with your System files, you could find the external isn't bootable, either. In that case, you'd have to persue a different strategy, such as installing a clean copy of the OS on the external, "migrating over" your home files, applications, and other important data files, to end up with a "fresh hard drive" with all (or at least most of) your stuff on it. At that point, you can re-initialize the internal, and dupe your newly-constructed drive back to it.

- John

rhcp1253

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Backing up right now. But I did an advanced super duper scan and fix but it didn't find anything. Can the HD be replaced easily?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.