is my harddrive missing some?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samrulestothema, Jun 15, 2008.

1. samrulestothema macrumors regular

Helo all,

im sur a couple of you will have noticed me posting quite frequently over the last few months.

So here is my problem:

I had boot camp installed, then i tried to reinstall OS X. I did this, and during the installation i had to choose where i wanted OSX to go. i hadnt removed boot camp before hand, so that drive was there.

Wel anyway i chose to go over my existing OS X hardrive.

Once OS X was installed, i then moved to get rid of bootcamp.

I got rid of boot camp, but now my harddrive is smaller than it should be.

I have a 320 GB harddrive with 298GB available.

I put my music and photos onto my computer again, and installed programs.

It says i am using up 112GB....

I put on 38Gb of music, 4 Gb photos and installed the follwing prgrams: photoshop CS3, Office 2008 Mac, warcraft, toast, Mercury Messenger and VLC. does this ass up to 122Gb?!

I thought it would be closer to 50GB including music and photos.

Here is a picture of my "info" from my harddrive.

thanks if anyone knows what to do. Even a justification of the 112Gb would satisfy me.

Sam

2. samrulestothema thread starter macrumors regular

forgot the pic ;)

the pic

Attached Files:

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

The way hard drive are advertised i.e. mine is 750GB is unformatted, I actually get 698.32 GB of actual storage. I also think the 1024mb being 'rouded' to 1000mb is also factored but not sure, im sure someone else wil correct me on that, but the point is you never get the advertised space on a hard drive.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes ^^^

the poster above was trying to say that hard drive manufactorers advertise in "bits", which is 8 "bytes" (these are the smallest units of storage available in a computer)

so if your hard drive is 500gB it will be theoretically 500, 000, 000, 000 (billion) bytes. this 500gB is measured in gigabits (gB).

if you convert that to what the computers use (gigabytes shown as GB (i think)) the size now goes down to 465.8GB.

it is a common mistake by many users and a pain in the butt for many people, however that is the way that it has been set up and will most likely not change.

if your interested in seeing the EXACT amount on your HD go into the app "disk utility" (find it via spotlight) and click on your HD, the space can be seen down the bottom under "total capacity"

DoFoT9

5. samrulestothema thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for this information, but this is not the case.

My 320 has a capacity of 298. nad of that 298, 112 has been used and i have only put about 50gb of data on my computer. I was wondering why it says 112 GB used, does this mean that 62Gb of data is used with OS X being installed?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the space has to be taken up somewhere, can you provide a screenshot of your "macintosh HD" with the space of each folder shown (you can show this via going to View>show view options and hitting "calc all sizes"

like this...*

*clearly the sizes do not indicate the full size taken up on my HD because i didnt give it enough time to calculate it accurately, give it a while to calculate, i recommend 3-5minutes.

Attached Files:

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

try this -
    Disk Inventory X

it will give you a graphical representation of where the space on your HDD is being used.

sometimes the easiest way to find where space has "disappeared." :)

8. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

the other issue that occured to me is that you said you installed bootcamp.

for which you partitioned your HDD. are you absolutely sure you removed the partition when you got rid of bootcamp? (you would have done this by running the bootcamp utility, and removing the partition - the partitioned space becomes part of the primary drive again.)