Is my HDD encrypted?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

On my MBP with OS-X 10.8, I had a 750GB HDD that was encrypted. A few days ago I used CCC to make a clone and place it on a larger 1TB HDD.

I assumed that everything would remain encrypted, but how can I check?

Thanks,

Larry

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Was it encrypted with FileVault when it was formatted? If not then it is probably not encrypted. Right click on it and select Get Info. Does it show encrypted?

Since you're signed in, CCC has normal access to the drive. It isn't decrypting or encrypting anything, that is handled by the OS.

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

My 750GB HDD was encrypted.

Since CCC makes an exact copy of your old HDD, I was thinking that included the encryption part.

I didn't see anything, but where do I look in Get Info - I assume you mean select the drive in Finder?

So how would I use FileVault2 or whatever to do full-disk encryption on this new HDD?

And how long would it take on a 1TB drive?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your data on the external clone is not encrypted. The internal drive is "unlocked" when you clone, so all the CCC app does is clone over the data to the unencrypted target drive.

You have two ways to go here depending if you want/need the clone to be bootable. You can read about it here in a CCC support article.

5. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

When I cloned I built a hidden recovery partition, and chose not to clone using CCC, since I thought the clone would carry over the encryption.

Sounds like I have to re-encrypt my laptop and I have to encrypt the backup I also made using cloning.

6. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Since CCC isn't performing a bit-for-bit clone, it won't be encrypted. OS X is decrypting the disk and CCC is just copying all of the files like a traditional backup.

All you have to do is enable FileVault again and have it re-encrypt your disk.