Is my HDD failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khryz, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Khryz, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

Khryz macrumors 6502a

I have never had a problem with my mid-2010 15" MBP since a couple days ago when I noticed that I will get the spinning beach ball once every few minutes, lasting about 5 seconds each time. It was happening often enough that I started getting worried that something was going on. This happens when opening new applications or switching between applications.

I have 4 GB of RAM, and at first I thought it was an issue with that, so I bought 8 GB which is currently being shipped to me to see if that helps. However, when I quit a lot of applications/restart and my Activity Monitor shows plenty of free and inactive RAM, it still happens, though not as often.

Here are some screenshots:

This is last night, when it was happening a lot to me in the span of a few hours, and eventually the Page Outs piled up a lot more:
    [​IMG]

When I switched to the Disk Activity tab I noticed that each one of the spikes is when I get the spinning beach ball (or is it AFTER each spike and thus when it's at 0 indicating nothing is happening i.e. freezing?):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a copy of my Console as of a little bit ago, notice all the errors:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do next? Clean install Mountain Lion? I made a Time Machine back-up this morning too, just in case.

2. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I'm having the same issue on my 2009 15" MBP. But probably much worse. It's driving me nuts. Already did the clean install. Helped for a little while but it's so bad right now. Helps a bit when I restart it. Have to do that at least once a day or it's useless. I'm assuming my HDD is dying. I'm buying the rMBP as soon as the next generation comes out, but I'm not sure if this one will survive that long. I think next week I'll buy a new hard drive. Any suggestions on which make? I would appreciate suggestions for both HDD and SSD

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

SSD:

Crucial m4, since you can do firmware updates in OSX.

If you have bootcamp:
    Samsung 840 Pro line.

Do an SSD if you can afford, because they are the future. But if you cannot afford, anything made by WD (for reliability) or Samsung (for speed).

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would definitely go with a SSD.
    I prefer the OCZ Vertex 4 over other drives but thats your preference.

5. davemc67 macrumors newbie

I am having similar problems with my mid2010 MBP , spinning beach balls , taking nearly 2 mins to boot up,

after visiting the Genius Bar and thir dignostics showed no problems, was advised to do clean install and restore applications and personal files from time machine .

After clean install it boots in 1 min 25secs , time will tell if he spinning beach balls come back as its only just finished restoring apps and documents

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can also do firmware updates on the Samsung models in OS X as well. Here is the URL to get the ISO's for the Mac. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

In that case, I heartily recommend a Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Did you run disk utility to see if there are any problems with the disk?

9. KevinGrabher macrumors newbie

1 - use disk utility to run the check on the drive, as well as the volume - this could easily be a software problem (corrupt file system)
    2 - you could use something like TechTool to do a surface scan and SMART check

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

11. KevinGrabher macrumors newbie

Only in a very limited fashion

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I think using disk utility alone will be more than enough to determine the problem / possibly repair the hard drive.

13. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey all, thank you for your replies, much appreciated!

I decided to just pull the trigger and get a Samsung 840 (non-pro, couldn't justify the extra $150), 500 GB (same capacity as I have now) plus the 8 GB of RAM, and both are in transit to me now.

I'm very excited and can't wait to get rid of my slow HDD. I did a Disk Utility check and it all seemed fine.