Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevor Harris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hey all,

So I've been fairly disappointed by my heart rate sensor so far. I've gone for a run and a bike ride and both times the workout app says the chart is unavailable. The info button says there wasn't enough measurements to create a chart. I did sync with Strava, which shows the heart rate anyway (I suppose they don't have the same qualifying criteria for display) and you can see below that they're both really bad. Maybe a few dozen measurements with interpolation in between.

Is this sort of behaviour expected? I'm guessing not. I did tighten up my strap before use both times. I used to have a fitbit surge which measured my heart reate very consistently - but comparing the two I would have expected that apple to blow that out of the water.

Am I looking at a warranty situation here? Should I contact best buy, or is there something else I could try?

Attachments

• bike.PNG
    bike.PNG
    49.6 KB · Views: 248
  • run.PNG
    run.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 261

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Why don’t you try built in workout app first to see if the issue is on Strava app?

Trevor Harris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hey all,

Matrix, I did use the built-in app. In the first paragraph I said I used the workout app and it says the chart is unavailable. I sync'd with Strava after the fact.

T'hain, I don't know what's wrong, that's why I started this thread.

Thanks!
Trevor

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hey all,

Matrix, I did use the built-in app. In the first paragraph I said I used the workout app and it says the chart is unavailable. I sync'd with Strava after the fact.

If that’s the case then your heart rate is really broken. I have never got that bad with built in apps.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Maybe the strap is too tight? When i wear my AW too tight it doesn't measure properly. Or even if my wrists get too sweaty it can interfere aswell

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I had the same problem and wearing the strap looser didn't help
"Had the same problem"? So did you get rid of it or you still wearing an AW? I would be curious if wearing it on the other wrist would make any difference (for heart rate measuring i mean), like maybe you got weaker circulation down one arm than you will in the other.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
"Had the same problem"? So did you get rid of it or you still wearing an AW? I would be curious if wearing it on the other wrist would make any difference (for heart rate measuring i mean), like maybe you got weaker circulation down one arm than you will in the other.
After several replacements I got one that worked. I tried it on the other wrist as well as wearing it on the inside of both wrists and it wouldn't work. My Garmin Forerunner didn't have an issue on either wrist inside or outside. One replacement I had would work for about an hour after I power cycled the watch after that the green lasers wouldn't light up again

I'd recommend downloading an app like HeartWatch (can't recommend this one enough, but there are others which would accomplish similar) which will display each HR rating in a good graph format. This makes it easy to see gaps/issues in the readings.

I have sporadic issues with mine and would recommend using more than 2 data points adjusting various factors before taking it to apple. For me the wrist tension caused by gripping bike handlebars can mess with or negate HR readings. Sometimes the running readings are finnicky as well. I have an armstrap which I've used occasionally which definitely improves the accuracy of the readings.
[doublepost=1529338549][/doublepost]
Here's a question... should I be seeing a green light or anything? I see no light coming from the bottom of the watch at all.

Only during a workout

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Here's a question... should I be seeing a green light or anything? I see no light coming from the bottom of the watch at all.

Yes, if you're working out the green light should be on. Easy to test.

Or if you're near Apple Store just have them take a look.

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
BTW: if i run and wear my Watch not tight enough, it will say "not enough measurements". If i wear it tight enough though, it will register nicely.

If you start a workout with the workout app, your watch will use the green LED's on the back to track your heartrate:
1KuuZ4Vl.jpg

Here, I started an outdoor walk for a few seconds, to illustrate what happens. I loosened the band to see the green light. Normally, you won't see the green light, as the circular centre of the back of the watch should be pressed against your skin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.