Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi I have an iMac from 2013 with the specs as follows:
3,1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost upp till 3,9 GHz
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2 x 8 GB
1 TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M med 512 MB GDDR5
And it has the very latest MacOs with latest patch, upgraded last week.

However whan I started (tried) my iMac yesterday it started working and then just closed down..
I tried several times but started realizing something is wrong.
So I looked at google for help and has performed the following actions:

1. Start in safe mode Shift (⇧) = iMac still closes down without starting
2.Start with Command (⌘) and S opening black window where I enter fsck -fy = the system answered "The volume [iMac name] appears to be OK" = iMac still closes down without starting
3.Start with Command (⌘) + R opening recovery area. I tried disk utility "First Aid" and MacOS disk was OK, Fusion drive was OK but coming to MacIntosh HD it stated Not OK and something with:

"Fixing size of logical volume to fill logical volume group.The operation couldnt be completed. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49153.) A disk with a mount point is required. Operation failed..."
4. Reset SMC removing acdc 15 secs then wait 5 secs before start = iMac still closes down without starting
5. Reset NVRAM by start with Command (⌘), Alternativ (⌥), P and R a number of times = iMac still closes down without starting
6. Reinstall MacOs via Start with Command (⌘), R = There is NO disc visible to install to at all (show all discs is on) = iMac still closes down without starting
7. Trying to reinstall to latest version that followed the iMac by Commando (⌘),Shift,Alt,R = iMac still closes down without starting
8. Trying to reinstall to latest compatible version of macOs by Commando (⌘),Shift,Alt,R = iMac still closes down without starting
9. Trying to use my timemachine backup Start with Command (⌘), R = There is NO disc visible to install to at all (show all discs is on) = iMac still closes down without starting

So as you can see I tried a lot of things...Did I miss anything that could help??? If so Please help out
Also noticeble is that when I start the iMac I can see the progressionslider going for a while and then I hear the harddrive shutting down and then the iMac goes black in shutdown.

So what do you think has happened??
Could it be (as I suspect) that my hardrive has died??
If so is it at all possible to fix and replace a hardrive when I have a fusiondrive??
Or is it simply not worth the effort??
And should I instead buy a new iMac with SDD disk only this time??? (I assume a SDD is safer)

Is it common that the hardrive dies?? I had this iMac since january 2013 so its approaching 5 years but stil not so old...

Or could this by any chance be something totally else then harddrive death??if so what?

Please help out and any comments feedback is extremely appreciated..
best regards Micael

Last edited:

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Anyone who has any insight or comments please help out...
Is my harddrive deat?
or could there be something else?
Any things I could try?
best regards from desperate iMac owner

MacGuyMI

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
Fusion Drive based systems are not supported in 10.13/High Sierra just yet. Apple claims they will be sometime after the first of next year (2018). Can you reinstall 10.12/Sierra?

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Fusion Drive based systems are not supported in 10.13/High Sierra just yet. Apple claims they will be sometime after the first of next year (2018). Can you reinstall 10.12/Sierra?

Ah, My fusion drive mini has run fine under 13 and 13.1 Its only the encryption aspect of the OS that is not supported on fusion drives.

OP: It seems that the fusion drive has some issues. Maybe either the SSD or HD has some kind of issue. Maybe breaking it and only trying to load onto one of the two drives will help diagnose if one of the drives has failed.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge of how to do it will chime in. Maybe Google how to break a Fusion drive into individual drives may be helpful.

https://www.lifewire.com/split-fusion-drive-apart-2260166

Last edited:

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Do you have another drive to boot off? TM backup is not bootable.
Unfortunately not no...
[doublepost=1509912736][/doublepost]
Hi well it did run ok on High Sierra for a month..the thing not supported with fusion drive yet is the new filesystem but you can as I did upgrade without it. Anyway I did as I wrote try 3 different ways of reinstalling to different versions of macOs but unfortunately none worked..basically because it can not find a drive to reinstall to..
thanks for the feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.