Is my iMac compatible to play Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Oct 14, 2009.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Hi, I bought an external blu ray writer and cannot make use of it as os x does not seem to support it and when i use makemkv files they are extremely choppy. is there a way around this?

i also have windows installed on a second partition, however the software included (cyberlink power dvd) will only play audio and no video.

please help.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

osx lack bluray playback

you can use bluray for data though

it sucks i know

3. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

yeah its disappointing to say the least. but even when i get the blu ray data on the hard disk, i cannot view it as the file is way too choppy. is there a driver or something i can download? is my computer not good enough or am i using the wrong app to decode it (makemkv)?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I wouldn't bee too bummed if I were you. Blu-Ray is too expensive and not efficient enough to replace DVD. Why anyone would want to store 50GB on a single disc with unstable read/write is beyond me. Most people these days without a huge chunk of cash to burn (majority of people) are buying DVDs. Blu-Ray is not cost effective and with Sony in the background, the price will not drop low enough to swiftly outdate DVDs.

Regarding your choppy playback, it's probably due to your system. Full 1080P is very cpu and gpu intensive, you must have a relatively newer system, something Core 2 Duo. I would try VLC and see if playback quality gets better, or convert into another format. Use HandBrake for that. Unless you want and have 8.1 surround sound and 1080 pixels or more on your iMac screen, something like 720P or just plain 1080P without the surround sound will give you better playback.

5. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

does handbrake have the ability to rip straight from blu ray? what software is more suited to ripping straight from disc with customizable settings?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol please dont try to justify apples absurd reasoning for not including it
    1080p can be handled by a core duo and its not gpu intensive....unless we think a gma950 is a gpu powerhouse now lol

7. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

if a core duo can run it can a dual core 2.0Ghz? I have Planet Earth on blu ray and im dying to see it already. I think I just spent 350 big ones on nothing. Please tell me otherwise.

8. Jisuo macrumors 6502